Sign in to follow this  
Valerian

Another matrix query

Just replaced my original Valeo matrix with a Topran one and found that it doesn't seem to sit in the heater box as well as the original.

The matrix seems to be a couple of millimetres taller than the original so i can't locate the two locking tabs on the top

I think this might be because the bottom plastic cover of the Topran matrix is not an exact fit into the bottom shaped reccess of the heater box.

Not too great a problem seeing as it's held in with two screws anyway.

Has anyone else here found this problem with the Topran (or any other make of) matrix?

Water had also been leaking in through the heater motor air inlet as well so i've (hopefully) resealed it with mastic.

How the heck did VW ever think that, what looks like, foam draught excluder was ever going to be water tight?

i also replaced my heater matrix - before i put it in i was getting water in passenger footwell. seemed to stop temporarily but has started again. is this where your leak is coming in?

Mate the original Valeo ones were bad enough and the ones GSF sell are not as beefy as the VAG ones (also Valeo but better quality) - I'd never trust a Topran one for such an important part!

i also replaced my heater matrix - before i put it in i was getting water in passenger footwell. seemed to stop temporarily but has started again. is this where your leak is coming in?

My passenger side is wet all the way to the rear seat well.

From what i could see...the water leaks in around the outside of the heater motor air inlet and runs along the heater duct. Then it drips on to the centre tunnel.

Water also seems to leak down the inside edges of the air inlet and some of that water will make it's way along the inside of the heater duct and end up in the bottom of the matrix housing. Some water will also end up running staright down into the fan.

I can't understand why VW didn't at least put a lip on the air inlet duct where it passes through the bulk head/skuttle. Very poor design.

I'd never trust a Topran one for such an important part!

I realise they are not staggering quality but it's better than an old leaky 18 year old one :) (he says trying to find a solid piece of wood to touch).

:(

Have you checked up behind the dash on the passenger side above the heater motor to see if it's wet up there?

Easiest way is to take the glove box out, and also the vent tube, then feel around above the motor/air inlet area to see if the sound deadening foam is wet.