Sign in to follow this  
t_chet2001

Some Cooling System Help please!

Hello,

So I have been driving the corrado for just over a week and already have a problem! Coolant is leaking at quite a rate out the bottom. I think I have isolated it to the water pump (left side engine near belts) as there are drips coming from there! Anyway, I did a little search on here earlier saying to go to ECP, just wondering which bits I will definitly needs? When I go onto their website there are a mixture of water pumps....

This is what I have and think I need from the posts... also any tips?

201440115 WATERPUMP COMPLETE VW & AUDI 1.6/1.8 82-- £25.50 £25.50

369440050 WATER PUMP SEAL GO/JE/VE/SC/PA/SA/A80/A100 £0.86 £1.72

209440040 THERMOSTAT GO/JE/VE/SC/PA/SA/A80/A100 £3.80 £3.80

Cheers

Forgot to metion I have a 1989 16v :)

fit the stat/seal and elbow with the pump off the car, it's a PITA to do it upside down on the car, check the condition of the plastic elbow(inlet) carefully, they can get damaged especially when old and brittle

2009_02090021.JPG[/attachment:1os0ftn5]

This is the photo of the area which I think the leak is coming from. Which bit is the plastic inlet elbow?

Okay quick update, as more help needed now!

So I ordered the parts above and arrived no problem, booked it in with a friend to do the work on Monday. So I thought today I would top the coolant up a bit and then get the car nice and hot to see if their are any more obvious leaks. I was sure in for a suprise. I think the pump may be okay as while I was checking stuff out a pipe pretty much split and made quite a mess. What I need to no is where can I get replacements from (im a complete car novice really).

There is a pipe with comes from the bottom of the rad to the pump, which has been leaked all over my the very hot water, so will need replacing and the pipe which has split is just above it, can i go to VAG and get replacements or is their an easier way? Also temp gage not working, where is the sensor, as I could get a new one of them to. What is the best coolant to put in VW's?

Thanks, hope someone can help!

The coolant hoses are quite expensive from VW, and if 2 have given up already it might be worth doing them all.

Samco hoses seem expensive but when comparing them to VW, and the fact they are better, it makes more sense to buy them.

G12+ is the best coolant to use, VW sell that and i'm sure you can get it online from somewhere

Quite correct, I have been searching around today as when I went to vag they wanted nearly £50 for the pipe I needed. I think its part number 027 121 053B which I need but I cant be sure. I found a past post and it seems to tally up. GSF have it for £30 so going to go for that one i think, this is the pipe which has gone is the one that runs from the waterpump to the flange on the front of the head and has a T piece in it to feed the oil cooler.

Does anyone have the part number for the pipe from the bottom of the Rad to the water pump? AS that will need doing to.

okay finally worked it out with my bootleg copy of ETKA, part number 068 121 063M so the damage wont be as bad. Its only a very small peice of hose so may attempt to make my own replacement, as I think VW would want around a tenner

Money money money, :(

T chet did you get this sorted out?

There is about a four inch hose from the water pump that attaches to the metal pipe that comes down from the heater past the block. That metal pipe seems to have a T junction on it with a further short hose coming down from the oil cooler.

Or at least there was on mine until it split big time earlier today (the four inch effort). The code on the side of it was 027 121 033, but having checked a few posts it seems to have been replaced by part number 037 121 058 (maybe thats the g60 version?).

Anywho, just wondering if you noticed whether it was bigger at the water pump end than the other end. Have some normal hose was going to use but this difference in diameter would be an issue - which is why the hose i have does not seem keen on going on at the water pump end. Further, is it actually straight or slightly kinked?

Don't really fancy spending a load on a four inch hose. Tee hee.

DF

T chet did you get this sorted out?

There is about a four inch hose from the water pump that attaches to the metal pipe that comes down from the heater past the block. That metal pipe seems to have a T junction on it with a further short hose coming down from the oil cooler.

Or at least there was on mine until it split big time earlier today (the four inch effort). The code on the side of it was 027 121 033, but having checked a few posts it seems to have been replaced by part number 037 121 058 (maybe thats the g60 version?).

Anywho, just wondering if you noticed whether it was bigger at the water pump end than the other end. Have some normal hose was going to use but this difference in diameter would be an issue - which is why the hose i have does not seem keen on going on at the water pump end. Further, is it actually straight or slightly kinked?

Don't really fancy spending a load on a four inch hose. Tee hee.

DF

Hello there,

yes I did sort this problem out, I think its the same pipe, around 3 inches(ish) long. Part number 068 121 063M.. I got it from VW for £9.50 in the end. one end of the pipe is bigger than the other.

Cheers