Sign in to follow this  
dukest

Swapping from Koni/H&R set-up to KWV1 coils - parts needed?

Quick question, I'm not a expert but I'm aware that for different aftermarket suspension sometimes people need to use different top-mounts etc.

If I'm swapping from Koni top-adjustables with the H&R springs (which have been on the car for about 4 years) to KW version 1 coilovers, will i need to, or should I be changing top-mounts or anything else at the time? I'm told I have had new rear bushes in the past and recently I've had new front wisbhones and front subframe bushes and ball joints.

An extra factor is that I would like to put some ARBs on at the same time but this is not a definite. Any thoughts on this work in general are welcome.

I'd get new top mounts all round (including bearings for the front ones) from VW and just use new bolts (like where the front strut bolts to the hub, etc) all round as well - they don't cost a lot and worth doing. Coilovers are built units IIRC so you won't need new bumpstops or anything like that.

cheers guys, i'm pretty sure the top mounts were new when the Koni/H&R went on but that was 25k miles ago.

Jim, when you say bearings do you mean as part of the top-mounts?

Yeah - the front top mounts have a bearing that sit inside them. They're a separate bit in that they don't automatically come with the top mounts when you order them.. but you definitely want to get them.

just get the rubber bits for the rear top mounts. i bought the whole lot, metal parts too, but didn't need to replace anything about from the two rubber bits each side