Sign in to follow this  
fullpint

Going to fit new front disc and pads..

Just got a set of Mintex disc's and pads for my 2.0L 8V...Any thing I should know that may aid the fitting :confused4: I can't see why but hey you guys may have some handy tips :notworthy:

Do a search as there will be loads of topics.

Main thing I do is make sure all bolts from the calipers and carrier will undo before starting. Not good getting one side done then finding a problem with the others.

Make sure you clean the discs before putting them on. Put some copper slip on the pads backing plates. Clean everything up.

You will need a g-clamp or similar to push the pistons back in and remember to take the cap of the brake fluid reservior when doing this. Watch for over spill as it eats paint.

see Wiki guide for full details.

The copper slip on the rear of the pads is to stop both horrible vibrating noises and rust. Do not get it on the face of the pads or discs. Use a torque spanner if you can for tightening up. You might need a breaker bar if you're taking off the carriers.

When taking the caliper off the carrier, its on sliding pins from memory. ensure to use both spanner points, ie two nuts. Otherwise you might find you twist the rubber boot that protects the sliding pins, which in turn will offer no protection to the pins, which in turn lets them rust, in turn making the brakes stick on/off.

Lastly, Take a photo and admire whilst they're nice and clean , lol 8)

Cheers Stuart just what I was looking for but could not find it :confused4: :confused4:

If all goes well (as if it will :lol: ) I will take a few pic with the new disc's and pads in situ

What a job that was.Took over an hour to remove the first caliper :confused4: Why did VW use a bolt that is 5mm to long? Therefore exposed to 15 years of road dirt/crap. :brickwall: .

Heres my old disc :(

DSCF2088.jpg

DSCF2087.jpg

Seemed to have more wear on one side than the other..

Had to use the good old black 'n' decker..

DSCF2090.jpg

To remove that silly 6mm countersunk with +drive..A nice M10 hex head would be so much better.

Any way here's my nice new disc and pads.. :clap: :clap:

DSCF2089.jpg

Finished the day off with painting my arches..Looks great but I will post pics in the right section