Sign in to follow this  
corradog60stage4

FK coilover spring preloading question??

I have FK coilovers on my corrado and I have set the front coilovers spring perches to almost the top of the strut. In doing this the helper spring is already compressed and preloaded to the max and the main spring too is getting somewhat compressed and preloaded as well but not to the max yet.

I need to raise the car so as too clear these big ass wheels. Is this good or bad?

it sounds like the dampers needs adjusting are there adjustable? the coils should not be that compressed sounds like the shock is too soft :(

it sounds like the dampers needs adjusting are there adjustable? the coils should not be that compressed sounds like the shock is too soft :(

yes these are adjustable dampers but I do not think setting them harder will raise the car height.

It is not paticularly indicative of good handling having a large amount of preload on the spring as described.

What you can do is buy some longer springs from a Motorsport parts supplier, (I recomend Rally Design), that will enable you to drop the platforms & maintain the current ride height and also give you a greater scope for adjustment in the future.

To assatain the correct type of springs you need find out the rate (lb or N) of the fronts and rears, measure the un-compressed length and the internal diameter.

At a guess from my experience with road kits on MK2 Golfs you'll be looking at a 250lb, 10.5 inch (9 inch being pretty much the standard), 2.25 inch spring.

The best thing to do is measure the spring and find out exactly what you have at the moment.

Forget refitting the helper springs they are just to keep the main spring seated at droop.

Adjusting the damping doesn't effect the ride height of a vehicle.