Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

Strange oil temp reading?

Hi

Firstly my oil temp on the MFA of my G60 has been working perfectly until after the work I did on the car today.

I decided to fit an oil pressure gauge to my car. So, the easiest way to connect the oil pressure sender to the oil flow was to use a gauge adaptor on top of the oil filter housing, specifically moving the oil temperature sender into the adaptor and screwing the adaptor into the vacated port.

But, the MFA now reads approximately 20 degrees less than it should.

The oil temp sender has only been raised by about an inch so I don't understand why it's reading so low.

Any ideas?

Ta

ST

I think that when screwed into the housing the sender is in the direct flow path of the oil, put it in a pressure sensor adapter and it's in a 'dead end' as far as the flow goes, which isn't a problem for a pressure reading. If possible keep the temp sensor directly in the filter housing and move another pressure sensor into the T-piece, along with the variable sensor for the gauge.

My best guess anyway :shrug:

Can you get some pics up? Sounds like it could be the same setup at the tim gauge in my old golf.

Also, how can you tell the temp reading is off: does your pressure gauge have temp reading in too, and you're comparing to the MFA or something? :scratch:

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics and have removed it all this afternoon, mfa temps are back to normal so the sender isn't broken. I do the same journey to work every day and know what the temp readings are at different points of my journey so I know when I can play. Early morning start so no hold ups either so it was easy to see the readings were different.

I think I agree with what your saying David, might remove the oil pressure sender on the filter housing instead.

Does anyone know if it's okay to swap the oil temp and oil pressure senders over on the filter housing as it's moch more convenient to use the front port?

Ta

ST

I'm sure this has come up before, can't remember where though :?

I'm pretty sure it's fine to swap the senders around, the late housings have 3 drillings, only two used on a 2.0 valver not sure about the G60, but on other vag cars I know 2 pressure senders and one temp sender are used in the 3 drillings.

The housing changed on the 4 cyl blocks to incorporate a new valve inside, possibly pressure relief from a blocked filter :shrug: the pressure senders aren't both on the same side of this valve inside but as the pressure ratings of the warning senders are both quite low and not that far apart, 0.3 and 1.3 bar -ish, and they are for warning of pressure below each of their values at different rpms, then I can't see it being an issue, after all, plent of blocks have the pressure senders in totally different places, like on the end or back of the head.