Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Urgent! Will a KR Head fit a 9a?

Talking to a guy who's got a Ported/cammed Mk2 KR head up for sale and was wondering before I do something silly...

Does the KR head fit a 9a engine? As far as I can tell doing "google research" it should...

Also when doing a head swap what should I budget on for new parts, over and above the obvious Gaskets/ head studs...

I'm guessing injectors, cam followers :pale: spare exhaust studs/nuts...

Any help or advice you can give would be great!

its a long time since i messed around with kr's and 9a's but the heads are defo interchangeable. Apart from doing the seals etc i would change the tappets. WIth the injectors you should bridge your fuel pump and check the spray pattern. I think there was a post on here recently how to do it. Also check that the injectors dont weep as this affects hot starting. No need to change the injectors if you dont need to but if you do i think there are some mercedes brass injectors you can use that work out about £25 each. Defo change the seals on the injectors and the injector seats if they are broken.

The early KR heads had larger ports than the later ones and indeed larger again than the 9A. Any idea when the hydro tappets were done? Easy job to change, but not cheap at about 4 quid a tappet! Also, any clue on how old the stem seals are? That's a pig of a job to do, but no point putting a head on that has old seals as you'll just burn through your oil.

Defo get exhaust manifold studs and some nuts to go with them, you can get copper ones that are purposely slightly triangular on the thread, to stop the buggers coming loose 500 miles down the road (I speak from experience). You don't need to get injectors, unless yours are tired, but I'd recommend injector O-rings, as you may find the ones in there are old.

HTH