Sign in to follow this  
Ajb83

Storm suspension

I've got a storm and i love the thing to bits... However when i got it was lowered with 17" fondmetals, and i loved the look! But as time has past i've found the ride turbo hard, way too hard, and its caused all sorts of problems, bent wishbones and alloys, got through a set of shocks and I'm having to get it re-aligned frequently. This has all come a huge cost. Turns out it hasn't been lowered properly, ie. 40mm lowering springs with standard shocks and 17" wheels is a terrible mix! It great on good roads, but lets face it, our roads and crap......

So was looking to put it back on standard springs but when i contacted VW they needed to know what colour stripes were on the original springs? which i don't have! Was wondering if anyone has any clue what colour the stripes are on front springs of a storm???

Failing this, any good lowering spring (35-40mm) shock combos or coilovers? basically, it has to be alot more comfortable than it currently is and reasonably priced...

VW wanted about 275 for standard springs alone, so thats around that price up to about 400, i don't take it on track days so its comfort that is paramount!

I understand that 17" will give a harder ride, and the guy that sold the car to me did give me the original 15" wheels with the car so i can put them back on, but they are stuck 300 miles away in my parents garage! Plus i love the 17" wheels, so any solution that involved a more comfortable ride than i current have, 17" alloys and 35-40mm of lowering would be great!

Any help would be great...

Thanks

deffo deffo deffo get some eibach 30mm springs then mate. ery very comfortable, due to being progressivly wound, and very stiff when they need to be, i.e in corners, on roundabouts etc.

I've had eibach stuff on every car i've ever owned, and would deffo reccomend them alot!

To be hones, on normal cars, with standard wheels, and eibach springs, u'd be hard pushed to even notice they were there, until u cornered arder :-)

However, alot of the harshness you are experiencing is probably due to the low profile tire's on your 17's which dont have anywhere near as much sidewall movement as the standard profile tires.

Up to you, but i'd get the standard wheels cleaned up, and put them on, with some eibach's, and you'll be amazed!

My mate has standard speedlines on his vr6, lowered with eibachs and KYB Ultra shocks, and his car corners and rides superbly.

I have standard springs all round on my storm, and run KYB shocks in place of VW items, they are much better for handling, but springs keep the ride comfortable. And she still handle's really well.

So there'sa few options for ya :-)