Sign in to follow this  
Wullie

Cutting out and Snatching

Help please. My 1990 1.8 16v has finally decided to throw a wobbly. Occasionally it will cut out when slowing down or stopping. Raising the clutch again with it still in gear will start it up again but it will repeat the performance every time you dip the clutch. If you switch off and restart again, I've done it with the car coasting, clutch dipped, it will idle nicely as if nothing were wrong. Then it will run for several days no problem then it will do the cutting out bit again, usually at the most awkward moment.

In addition it has started to snatch on the overrun, especially in second and third. Feels like someone is tapping the throttle. I’ve checked for air leaks and the engine mounts are fine. Clutch was replaced about 18 months ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dizzy is a couple of years old and clean and dry inside, dizzy cap was changed in July/August along with the leads.

Since joining the forum I broke my cardinal rule of "if it's working don't touch it" and cleaned out the throttle body and ISV. I've went over all the bits I touched but can't see anything obvious. I'll nip out and check how the rotor arm is, might have deteriorated since I last looked.

Thanks

Dizzy is a couple of years old and clean and dry inside, dizzy cap was changed in July/August along with the leads.

Since joining the forum I broke my cardinal rule of "if it's working don't touch it" and cleaned out the throttle body and ISV. I've went over all the bits I touched but can't see anything obvious. I'll nip out and check how the rotor arm is, might have deteriorated since I last looked.

Thanks

you might be surprised buddy, always worth checking and not expensive to fix, i found that out this morning :mad2:

Checked the rotor arm, It was OK but I dressed it gently with an oilstone while it was visible. Snatching problems still there, don't know about the cutting out as it didn't do it when I tested the car.

Going out for a few real ales and consider this in more convivial surroundings.

Found the problem. The Diaphragm pressure valve bolted to the top rear of the airflow meter had moved and the wiring was coming into contact with the inner wing of the car and must have been shorting out at times. Don’t know enough about what this actually does to understand what was happening but since I moved it away and taped the wires up the snatching has disappeared and the car hasn’t cut out so far. Fingers etc crossed. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys, Did more to the car this weekend that I’ve done in the past year.

Good thing is that most of the bits and pieces are working OK except the cold start valve. Is there an easy way to check this as I only have a test lamp.