Sign in to follow this  
mr.gunt

valver auxillery belt pulleys

I bought my valver last november and it was blowing blue smoke so i have done a full engine rebuild inc big end shells piston rings, full head re build and when i was fitting the auxillery belt i found the water pump pulley for the alternator was rubber mounted but if you held the centre of the pully the outside would spin freely so just to be on the safe side i welded it up just for the time being i then noticed the 3 bolt hub on the water pump was comming off its shaft so i replaced the pump and thermostat but the power steering pulley was still touching does anyone have any ideas on where to go next as all the pulleys seem to run true but i cant stop them rubbing

Hello - what do you mean by rubbing? on what?

Pic might be useful if you can get one...

The water pump issue is well known, just fit a later pulley and might also be worth buying new pulleys for the other stuff - cheap enough from VW

basicly the large inner waterpump pulley fowls the power steering pulley to the extent that when running it creates sparks. i just took some photos but cant get them to load.

i found the water pump pulley for the alternator was rubber mounted but if you held the centre of the pully the outside would spin freely so just to be on the safe side i welded it up ...

:lol: it's supposed to do that, it's just an idler pulley to deflect the alternator belt.

If you weld the pulley up it may wear your alternator belt prematurely as it will possibly slip a bit, however, I've seen other people do the same and they seem to get away with it. The main problem with this setup (the idler pulley) is that they get quite loose over time and chatter a bit, so in that way Supercharged is right, the late 16v setup which uses several different pulleys is better as it does away with the idler pulley altogether.