Sign in to follow this  
Jim

New injectors soon.. get fuelling setup afterwards?

Aiming to change the injectors on my Corrado in a few weeks time whilst doing a bit of an engine bay cleanup (new sand-blasted manifolds & rocker cover, new gaskets / seals, throttle body, cold start injector, etc..) and was wondering whether it'd be worth getting the fuelling / CO all setup at Stealth or somewhere similar afterwards? I don't think my cars fuelling has been right for a while and I think old injectors are contributing to this.. so is it worth getting it done after swapping my injectors out?

Additionally, how long should it take someone like Stealth? An hour tops?

Cheers.

Might not hurt to get it checked, but I thought that the lambda looked after the fueling on the 9A? in which case there isn't a lot to fiddle with. The new injectors ought to squirt fuel in a better pattern, which will help with running, and getting better combustion.

On the KR I borrowed a CO meter from the local garage, and an allen key and had it set in 10 mins, and that was only as the meter was half knackered...

The 9A fuelling is a little more complicated than the KR though. If you look at your metering head next to all the fuel lines there is a little 3mm allen key, were if you undo these you can actually adjust the fuelling to each injector. Here's what my mate did on a 10V Audi turbo (same KE-jet management) to support 280bhp

Unscrew all the covers to gain access to the 3mm grub adjustment screw inside. Then put a co meter into the tailpipe of the car and at idle first adjust the car to perfect 1 lambda using the main control screw.

Switched the engine off and use a colourtune tuning kit where you can see the colour of the flame through an inspection hole on cylinder number 1. Depending on the colour of the flame, turn the grub screw of injector one up or down until the colour was right. Repeated this process for the other cylinders.

Replacing the safety caps, shim up the fuel pressure return to increase the fuel pressure to the injectors and adjust the co idle screw to bring her back to perfect lambda at idle.

The 9A fuelling is a little more complicated than the KR though. If you look at your metering head next to all the fuel lines there is a little 3mm allen key, were if you undo these you can actually adjust the fuelling to each injector. Here's what my mate did on a 10V Audi turbo (same KE-jet management) to support 280bhp

Unscrew all the covers to gain access to the 3mm grub adjustment screw inside. Then put a co meter into the tailpipe of the car and at idle first adjust the car to perfect 1 lambda using the main control screw.

Switched the engine off and use a colourtune tuning kit where you can see the colour of the flame through an inspection hole on cylinder number 1. Depending on the colour of the flame, turn the grub screw of injector one up or down until the colour was right. Repeated this process for the other cylinders.

Replacing the safety caps, shim up the fuel pressure return to increase the fuel pressure to the injectors and adjust the co idle screw to bring her back to perfect lambda at idle.

Hehe. I recognise that from somewhere ;) Really good guide though.

worth asking Vince Jim,

I don't think he's a great fan of 9a's though :)

He charged me an hours labour for setting mine up on the rolling road, it really flew on the way home :D

but that was on plain K-jet, so as Toad says unless the factory calibration of the metering head has been messed with, the 9A should sort itself out to a certain extent.

will be interesting to see if it starts and runs better with brand new injectors though, I've two sets, one with lower mileage on than the ones on the car and I'm hoping to find an old K-jet fuel pump so I can rig up an ultrasonic cleaning bath and spray the injectors into it, apparently that can bring them up like new, spray pattern wise.

dont think theres alot he can ajust on it tbh , it sorts itself out

id spend the money on some tools instead , bung a local garage £10 to whack the emmisions sniffer up it if your that worried

:o

how much is it for 4 brand new injectors?

Is there any way to clean thei njector's inner micro-filter?

Varies between models. 2.0 16v injectors are approx £35+VAT each from somewhere like GSF.. but they're the genuine Bosch items. Probably about £50 each from VW.

They can be quite tight. I pulled Beigies out last year as I had some big allen keys in my boot.

:o

how much is it for 4 brand new injectors?

Is there any way to clean thei njector's inner micro-filter?

They are funny little items, I don't know if you can clean them in the same way you do electronic injectors. The nozzle (terminology??) opens at 3 bar I believe, and they spray constantly.

Cool - nice find mate. Will definately order some more of those when I go to VAG.