Sign in to follow this  
GaVR6in

Wishbone question

This is the problem see pic

Picture002.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Does the bit at the end of the wishbone which has come apart come with the wishbone or is it a seperate item I need aswell.

the bot at the end is bolted to the lower part of the hub carrier and the wishbone and does come off and is easily replacable.

use a see saw type ball joitn splitter (sorry dont know the proper name!) and it'll seperate off so you can slide it out - might need to relax the driveshaft though in order to pull it out from the wishbone!

Tbh though when i've done this quite a few times in the past its a pita to get the ball joint out fron the bottom of the hub so what i've done in the past is taken the track rod off, driveshaft out and brakes off and pressed the connical shaft of the ball joint from the hub carrier

Thanks for the reply, I was kind of hoping it was going to be a bit easier than that as I am a novice but never mind.

it really shouldnt be too bad, you will need the ball joint splitter if the wishbone ball joint has gone, if you want to keep this and just change the wishbone then its just nuts and bolts (and if i remember right the vr6 needs to be lifted slightly as it stops one of the botls coming out

it might be a good idea to check out nomads mate, we're a friendly bunch of vw nuts and most people live in/around hertford/hemel, if you check out

http://www.nomadsvw.co.uk

there will probably be someone on there round the corner who might be able to have a look for you or come and lend you a hand - i would but i can this weekend! :camp:

andy

o and forgot to mention - worth buying a mk3 golf haynes manual that covers the vr6 (think there is one) as its cheap and with the price of the dollar atm the american bentley publishing manual is about 10 times the price!

Yer I was looking at those yesterday, bit pricey, but Its me b day soon so get one then, I have a mk 3 gti haynes manual, must be simaler

the front and rear subframes, engine, suspension etc about 95% the same so underbody stuff will be covered in the haynes, certainly wishbones and suspension bits and bobs

Well I have just finished replacing my ball joint and wishbone and to some that is probably like taking a slash but I am a novice so am quite pleased with myself. all in all I can see that it is an easy job really but it did throw up its complications for me but all done now.