Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

MOT questions on new engine

Ok my first MOT is looming after the 24v conversion and Im hoping to get prepped for it in the next week or so.

However Im confused as to what limits/rules my car will tested under. Speaking to a friend he said that since the car was never available with this engine then I dont need to run a CAT.

I thought it would go by chassis age (94) so I would need a CAT so I phoned the place doing it and they said for emissions it will be the engine age that is the limit, which sounds like crap to me.

Anybody been in this situation. I have a decat fitted and dont want to remove if necessary.

sorry this should have been in the engine section. Mods feel free to move.

IIRC it'll go by year of car,so as yours is post 91 it'll will have post 91 emissions limits to pass

Pretty sure you are supposed to have a CAT fitted, but most MOT places will realise that it's an unclassified engine and apply the default test. If it's like mine when it gets tested it passes but is really close on CO & HC due to not having a CAT (I am still running closed loop control). It is still really down to the MOT center as to how they interpret the MOT guidelines.

Put it in a see how you get on.....

PS I still have a Golf VR6 CAT and some band clamps ready to fit a CAT if needed (just for the test mind 8) ).

when i asked my local mot tester this question he said that they test the oldest part of the vehicle not the newest essentially, so despite the fact the engine has been replaced the car is still a 94 vr (like mine) and needs to technically have a cat present... depending how friendly he is you may not :wink:

Try Budget beside Mountholly Roundabout in Aberdeen, Powis Place or St or something, You will find without problems. When last time spoke to a MOT tester guy said to me that I suppose to have CAT after 94 or 95, can't remember, BUT if the car will pas emission test without cat he's willing to give MOT certificate.

ok if your car is pre 94 brill no cat needed!

if after 94 cat is needed

if car is pre 94 but engine is after 94 still no cat needed

if car is after 94 but engine is pre 94 ( and you have proof) no cat needed

if engine is unidentifiable ie no stickers in you boot and on your cam cover :norty: no cat needed

or if they cannot match the engine to that car in their database no cat needed ie i have an 8v rado put in a 16v abf, this was never fitted in rados so no cat needed:)

hope this sheds some light! there is a website with all this on il try and find it and post it up