Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

G60 clutch and g'box change

Hi, I will be changing the gearbox and subsequently the clutch on my G60 next week. I have new gearbox oil, drive shaft strech bolts and a VR6 clutch (was significantly cheaper than the special order G60 one).

Is there anything else that you can think of that i would need, like new pressure plate bolts?

What about any special measures I should look out for? I have heard something about disconnecting the ECU.

Any input appreciated.

Personally, I'd be tempted to change the battery -> chassis -> gearbox earth strap while I was in that area of the car unless you know it's been done recently... that's just me though... :nuts:

Don't bother with disconnecting the ECU, just take the battery out completely, that way all electrical systems are made safe for working on the gearbox... before re-attaching the battery after doing the work, check the resistance from the negative battery terminal to the body of the starter motor, and the block of the engine... this should be very very low resistance, and if it's not, then this is when you need to move the earth strap around a bit to get it to be low before you reconnect the battery and blow the ECU by earthing the starter motor through it! :ohfire:

Thanks very much, i was going to completely take the battery out anyway to be on the safe side, Good info about the earthing. Thanks again