Sign in to follow this  
Topaz2008

G60 Trip Meter stopped working :-(

My G60 has decided it would be nice for the trip meter to stop working!! :mad2:

MFA all works fine

Speedo is fine

Overall mileage clock is fine

Any ideas anyone?

my valver has just given me the same present - though has gone one further and the overall counter has stopped too. i take it yours is the mechanical type cluster with the one LCD panel rather than 2?

my plan is to take it out at the weekend and see if i can repair it. hoping its just a cog or something come loose.

Anyone done this before? or even just taken the cluster out that could post up some hints and tips (especially if you have experience of the early style cluster as I suspect there is more to disconnect than on a late type?)

I have heard that there is a gear inside the speedo unit that cracks and causes everything to stop working. I saw this on another forum (Vortex i thinK). There was a guide on replacing it with a brass type.

Anyone done this before? or even just taken the cluster out that could post up some hints and tips (especially if you have experience of the early style cluster as I suspect there is more to disconnect than on a late type?)

To remove the cluster. Drop your steering to the lowest setting. 4 screws hold the clocks plastis surround in place.

2 on the bottom, 1 in each corner behind the slim plastic covers (if still present). Be careful in removing the covers as they can snap in half. Ease them off gently.

2 on the top on the 'roof' of the plastic surround. Get your head down, look up and you'll see them. Now remove the plastic suround.

2 more screws, 1 each side near the top corners. Once removed pull the top of the clocks towards you. They will be seated in place at the bottom by 2 'pins'. Pull your right hand side out first and look at the back of the clocks. You will see the wiring loom and a small vacuum hose. The loom is also cable tied to the steering column surround metalwork in two places. You can either remove the loom from the clocks with the clocks half out of the dash or cut the cable ties and pull the clocks out before removing the loom.

Think that's it. All from memory so sorry if I missed a bit. Good luck.

To remove the cluster. Drop your steering to the lowest setting. 4 screws hold the clocks plastis surround in place.

2 on the bottom, 1 in each corner behind the slim plastic covers (if still present). Be careful in removing the covers as they can snap in half. Ease them off gently.

2 on the top on the 'roof' of the plastic surround. Get your head down, look up and you'll see them. Now remove the plastic suround.

2 more screws, 1 each side near the top corners. Once removed pull the top of the clocks towards you. They will be seated in place at the bottom by 2 'pins'. Pull your right hand side out first and look at the back of the clocks. You will see the wiring loom and a small vacuum hose. The loom is also cable tied to the steering column surround metalwork in two places. You can either remove the loom from the clocks with the clocks half out of the dash or cut the cable ties and pull the clocks out before removing the loom.

Think that's it. All from memory so sorry if I missed a bit. Good luck.

excellent - thanks for that - my job for the weekend

will have a look on vortex to see if i can find that thread