Sign in to follow this  
Arrow3 VR6

Fitting Focal 130v2's

Hey everyone. I got a pair of the focal 130v2's to fit in my door pods, but I'm having a bit of trouble. I have a U.S. Corrado if that makes any difference. They don't seem to be just dropping right in. And there also seems to be some sort of circuit board behind the ones that were in there(maybe a crossover). What's the best way to install these speakers that you all have found? Do you need to take off the door card or make any modifications to it for them to fit? Cheers guys

You need to remove the doorcard then fit them from the rear, I dont know what the circuit board is though.

for the tweeters I made some plates from 6mm mdf and used the clips from the original tweeters to mount them in the dash.

What's the easiest way to remove the door card? The door handle seems to keep getting in the way. You can't just remove the plastic speaker pods for installation? Cheers

The door handle has a removable section that prises off with 2 screws behind it, the handle to open the door has a surround that slides off, maybe a screw behind this as well. Theres a few screws round the edge and possibly underneath and there a screw hidden at the front edge under the speaker cover.

The switches just prise out as well and unplug easily.

All the above is from memory and its been a while since ive taken a card off so not sure if ive got everything, its for a late interior as well.

The focals are very good speakers though, ive just got some dynamat ordered so will be taking the cards off soon to fit that. :D

I used new wiring so wasnt restricted by the factory stuff. One of them is strapped to a wiring loom under the steering wheel area with cable ties and the other is similar except under the glovebox, I never intended on leaving them like that but it keeps them out the way and they dont rattle so it will do for now

Do you know of any common placements for them that are concealed?

I've got my crossovers sticky-back-velcro-ed under the tweeters in the dash. no rattles, easy(ish) access and easy to get the wires to... 8)

Mine are concealed behind the shelves (think youve got kneebars or something there).

There might also be space to mount them behind the kick plate in the footwells, weve got the abs module there in the passenger side but I think the other side should have space.