Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Tornado red DDDDEEEEEAAAAATTTTHHHHHH!!

My car has obviously had a slightly dodgy respray in the past that is starting to show, when i bought it 2-3yrs ago it was fine, and its slowly been getting worse. These last few days the small scratches and cracks in the paintwork have started to open up as the lacquer is suffering in the heat.

The bonnet is completely dead, the spoiler and roof are getting there, the doors are pretty scratched up and i feel as if im constantly fighting a losing battle, and i can see this summer is going to be a nightmare with me wasting away the hot days polishing as opposed to chilling in a beer garden.

So, just after a rough figure, how much would i be looking at for a respray? Its a 16V daily so i dont want a show quality shine, im really just after something that will last for 3-4yrs without constant attention.

Anyone got any ideas?

If theres not too much prep work like dents etc youd be looking at about £800 for a half decent job on a straight colour, metallics cost more usualy but its mostly down to the amount of prep needed

Might not be down to dodgy respay, my Tornado Red MK3 turned a horrid shade of pink. I think that was just down to neglet/ abuse the previous owner (I worked that out from the moss on the roof and huge rust hole in the back!)

In my experience, for a good respray you would be looking between 2 - 3k.

Loads of people have had them done on here and I think many for much less then that.

I have always used BMW or VW recommended paint shops. They have come with the best recommendations and I have had no problems and excellent jobs done.

Get some quotes, find out what is included.

If so inclined see how you could reduce the cost in doing some of the prep work yourself.

Red cars are renowed for losing their colour generally, but there are some superb bright red Corrado's out there.

So it might mean some real elbow grease is required to bring it back round but think how good it would look - and free - it thats all it takes.

I gave it a massive session last year, like spread over two days and took the best part of 10 hours, and it did look really good, but its suffering from cracked paint and lacquer, which cannot be solved in this way. £2-3k does make me want to cry though, ive had one quote of £2.5k, but i cannot justify that on a car like this

Have you tried machine polishing?, can make a massive difference, sometimes you literally can polish a turd!!!, would be a lot cheaper than painting, if you don't fancy a go yourself you could get a pro to have a go/advise you if it would be worth it. Have a look on detailing world website, some real perfectionists on there, but I am sure you would get an honest opinion if you posted some pics.

Rich.

I have spoken to a few bodyshops recently and they all have said that the cost of doing resprays has gone up massively in the last few years basically due to the fact that the government banned solvent-based paints (European Product Directive baned solvent based paints from 01 January 2007 due to VOC content). So now all paint is water-based which is much more expensive to buy even at trade-cost, plus water-based paints do not give as good a finish and take longer to dry (roughly double that of solvent based paints).

I remember when I had a full respray including colour-coding down on my CRX about 5 years ago and it cost me £1200 for a good job. Now your looking more like £2-£2.5k as mentioned above. However, a lot of the cost is also prep-work, and if you are willing to do this yourself with guidance from bodyshop, you could make a big saving here.

I guess the first port of call then would be a very very good polish. I know someone with a machine polisher so its probably worth asking them to give it a go. It is annoying though as ive spent alot on the car mechanically and no it doesnt look like the effort and money was worth it. It be honest if it was a stock valver i'd just sell it on the cheap and get a G/VR, but ive spent over £3k on it so its not worth selling

You should be able to find an outfit that still sprays 2 pack without too much difficulty. Machine polishing cracked clear coat won't help it at all unfortunately mate. :(

The rules on body shops using water based paints have been reversed, they can still use solvent based paint

So this means i should really be looking for quotes closer to the £1k-£1.5k mark?

I'd be happy to pay £1k, i spent nearly that much on my coilovers!

As I said in my first post most of the cost is down to the amount of prep needed, if there are any dents etc then theres more labour to pay for.

Being a straight colour and not metallic it should be cheaper...your best bet is to ask freinds etc who they would recommend and get some quotes.

I agree with Arnau, prep it yourself, very easy if there aren't any dents etc, but ask the paintshop how much they'll knock off first- may not be worth the hassle!!

you can build yourself a some-kind-of-tent and paint the car in it. I will probably be doing it this summer

I dont think red would be the best colour to DIY. There are only a few dents, small ones too, its mainly scratches that are the problem, although the arches are starting to build up some nice rust bubbles

The rules on body shops using water based paints have been reversed, they can still use solvent based paint

Really ? I have spoken to at least 5 different bodyshops, including large insurance-approved businesses, who all said the same thing, "no solvent-based paints anymore" - unless this has changed in the last 2 weeks.... :?

The bodyshop that helps me do the paint on mine still uses it, I dont think your aloud to keep it in stock (for mixing machines etc) but they can buy it in ready mixed without any problems.

Thats what he told me and I been freinds with him for years :shrug: