Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

4-branch melting gear cable

Well, gearchange isn't the best in my new C. I've adjusted it a little and greased the linkage and it's much better (it kept getting stuck in reverse). Will give the oil a change too.

However, had a look at the cables where they enter the bulkhead and discovered they are sat right on the 4 branch :shock: The cable heatshielding has crumbled where they touch. Obviously, this can only be detrimental to the cable.

How can I rectify this? The 4 branch doesn't have a flexi, and the car has a solid front mount because of this. Is it just a case of wrapping the cable + 4 branch where they touch, or can I do something else? What should I wrap it with? I basically have no budget to sort this so any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's a pic:

i had the same four branch in my old valver but it was a good distance away from any cables, is there no slack to create a gap?

if you can't divert then suppose exhaust wrap is a solution, not too pricey either

is your solid front mount holding the engine in the wrong position? I noticed my VT mount sat the engine differently from the standard one

Thanks, Aide. Guess I'll need to get it up in the air and have a good look- maybe worth taking it to my local Longlife centre to see what they can do...

David, could well be- how can I tell? :? Apparantly it's got to have a solid mount cos it hasn't got a flexi...

yeh i think dave has a point, i never fitted my solid front mount and never had any issues

yeh i think dave has a point, i never fitted my solid front mount and never had any issues

Yep, I reckon he's right too. Have you just got a normal mount then, & no flexi?

meant to say, i used a sierra exhaust bush which allowed a certain amount of play between the four branch and exhaust flange plates

Investigate some heat wrap for the 4 branch mate? I don't think it costs mega-bucks?

meant to say, i used a sierra exhaust bush which allowed a certain amount of play between the four branch and exhaust flange plates

Ah, sounds like it's worth investigating.

Jim, yeh, I'll get some...

I'd probably go for a VT mount, a road one will give a bit of vibration isolation but the engine won't move much at all, not like a VW or pattern one, it's the wide rocking motion from an OEM style one that does the 4 branches in.

Best thing to do is measure the subframe to engine bracket distance and compare to a standard one, just to make sure it's not sitting too high or too low on the fixed mount. I'd imagine the front is sitting too low and the manifold is sticking up too high at the back as a result.

Have some suitable heat sleeving that'll sort your cables Andy, but it does look like the clearance isn't quite right. Seems very tight under the bulkhead.....