Sign in to follow this  
jaded2882

Rounded allen bolt in a nasty spot...

Taking my charger out to go to G-werks, got everything out apart from this bugger:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf100_1953.JPG[/attachment:16jmza07]

100_1951.JPG[/attachment:16jmza07]

Any ideas on the best way to tackle it seeing as it's in such a tight spot? And where is the best place to get the stuff needed? I really need this off tomorrow as I need it serviced and back on ASAP :mad2:

Irwins bolt grippers, have managed to get rounded allen bolts of rear brakes with mine, think screwfix sell them.

Rich

ps first saw these on here and have to say one of the best tools I have, 100% value for money.

Just use a torx headed socket bigger than the allen one you have, put and extension on it and smack it in with a hammer a few times till it fits....the hammer will loosen any corrosion holding it in there too.

Works every time....

:iamwithstupid: yup, had exactly the same with mine (waaaaayyyy back) when I first stripped the engine... Hammered a Torx into it and it came out no problems... :)

Bolt grippers picked up today and charger now on it's way to G-werks! Agreed- Great bit of kit those.

Had a struggle getting the loose charger out of the bay as I didn't take the alternator off and I have my rad very far over because of an FMIC. It would have been easier if I'd taken the pulley off- so I'll ask what is probably a dumb question- how do you stop the pulley spinning in order to get the nut off?

If it had been anywhere else I'd have been getting busy with mole grips- but I'm a bit :camp: with the charger cos I know how delicate they are!