Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Rear axle pivot bolts.

Hello.

How critical is the direction the bolts are inserted through the rear axle pivots? The correct way involves me moving a couple of brackets out the way which is a pest, but judging by the shoulder on the bolt I guess there is a reason for it poking through that way.

Just looked it up in the Bentley, looks like they have to go the awkward way...

is there a reason the have to be installed a certain way? I installed them from the outside

Well, I *think* the shoulder on the head end of the bolt fits against the bush, so that the bushes are both held against the outside of the brackets. Or something like that. Not 100% sure...

it doesn't seem to make sense from a rotation of the axle beam point of view as one bolt would be twisted clockwise the other anti-clockwise on the bump up of the wheel/damper :scratch:

Can't imagine it's that critical, but then why do the front hub ball joint and wishbone bolts go front to rear on both sides?

For what it's worth I put mine back in "backwards" when I replaced the axle bushes last year. As you say you'd have to remove stuff in order to do it the "right" way. I can't see it really making any difference to be honest, as all you're doing is clamping the centre of the bush to the body. The only reason I can think of them insisting on it being that way round is that in order to tighten it with it in backwards you need to hold the nut static and turn the bolt as there is no clearance to get a torque wrench in there. In practice this doesn't really make any difference, but it's probably not how you're supposed to tighten a nut on to a bolt :shrug:.

In any case mine has been fine for the past year or so; I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't be at all worried, if it wasn't for the funny shoulder on the bolt. Just wonder what it's for? If there is a purpose to it? There's lots of funny things about these cars that have been fitted or included for a reason.