Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Had trobule starting, then lack of power?

Tryed to start my car this afternoon to come home and it wouldnt start, when it did It would die out again, putting my foot on the accelerator didnt do much either.

Eventualy got it going but every time I put my foot down it didnt have any power, if I put it into nuteral and tryed to rev the engine nothing would happen.

After the engine warmed up it worked fine. Just been out again in it and didnt have a singel probolem

Had a look under the bonet and nothing was loose or out of the organary

:cuckoo: :confused4: :shrug:

Are first little lovers tiff :lol:

To start, you need battery power, but Im guessing you've got that, as it did start eventually.

If the car was cutting out when you pushed harder on the throttle, I'd suspect the below things I mention, air or fuel flow.

You then need the correct mix of air and fuel; in simple engines this is fine, you check the fuel filter and air filter, injectors etc. But Im guessing this is more electrical related.

From memory the air intake has some electrical gubbins attached to it (Mass Air Flow?), to regulate the intake of air flow. This maybe jammed shut or something. Try doing what THIS Thread says

Hopefully this will get someones attention who knows more about the air intake etc, but I think that above thread gets you on a Good Start.

Hey Thanks for that.

I will have a good read of it all in a moment.

Didnt have a problem with it today.

O well

Thanks

That thread is for a VR6 ;)

The 9a is quite tricky to fault find on IMHO. My first port of call would be to have a very close look at all the vacuum lines/intake pipework in-between/underneath the airbox and throttle body. It's very complex- just make sure nothing is lose, all hoses are tightly on etc.

It could also have been a sticky ISV. Probably worth giving it a good clean with some carb cleaner. It's a silver cylinder shaped valve to the right of the engine. Has a couple of breather hoses and an electrical plug on the end. Just take it off, give it a really good squirt/shake/soak inside with carb cleaner. Leave it as long as you can, then tip out any excess cleaner. Do again if you have time. Then spray in a small amount of 3 in 1 (or similar, so long as it's PTFE). Fit it back on. May be a little spluttery at first, but leave it running for a while or over night to let all the carb cleaner evaporate and it should be fine.

Would also change the fuel filter when you get it serviced- 10 min job and the filter is less than a tenner :)

HTH!

Well I think I might have found the real reason for this.

Got a txt off my dad saying their was oil on the drive were I was parked. So I looked under the bonet and there was oil every were had a look round the engine bay and found this was very loose and the part that holds it on missing

090609_201024.jpg

After looking round the engine bay I found it luckly and managed to fit it back on, filled her back up with oil.

Its looks like its coming off the gear box as when you take it out you can see some cogs. Its situated just above and to the right of the oil filter.

What a night, but all sorted now, might be worth takeing a crash course in mechanics :D

i forget the name but that lump of metal sits on top of the oil pump drive which itself is driven from the intermediate shaft, the cogs you see is the change in direction... tbh honest i don't know what would happen if that metal thing wasn't on when the engine was turning over??

Well I saw it was loose and pushed it back in and was fine ( didnt even cross my mind there was something to hold it on) truned the egine on and it just popped out, not completly but enough to notice plus chucking out oil. Turned it off saw a screw slot and hunted for it and sorted it out.

my theory on why it was running poorly is that when that plug was removed you'd have been sucking air through the engine block rather than through the metering head - hence limited fuel/ stuttering :D

If memory serves me correctlythats a blanking plug for a distributer thats used to to sit theere on some variations of the block. The dizzy on my Scirocco was there.

Well the car worked perfictly today not a single problem so hopefully its all gone away

Well the car worked perfictly today not a single problem so hopefully its all gone away

Glad to hear it 8)