Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

MOT Advisory (Wishbone assistance needed)

Hi People,

Long time no type.

Just reading over my MOT Advisory and one of the lines reads "Nearside front lower (Rear) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement". Now can anyone translate this into english and let me know what needs doing :)

Cheers, J.

wishbone bush is starting to go, probably best to buy a complete new one including the bushes unless you have access to a press, will need a wheel alignment after doing this too.

Thank you, just what I needed to hear. Looks like around £20 including bushes from AVS so that's not to bad either .. fitting it may be a different matter :)

Edit: Shame I didn't work this out sooner as I've only just had the wheel bearing done and to save on costs it could have been done at the same time.

Speaking of which, I'd like to recommend Elite Garages on that score. I used the Mannings Heath garage but they do have others in the area and it only cost me £80 inc VAT on a labor only basis. GCS, who I've happily used before, wanted £180 and VW in Horsham wanted £230 but that included the wheel alignment.

it's not tat bad really, ball joint needs to be swapped over, perhaps a good time to fit a new one, just make sure the bolt up through the rear bush frees off OK before stripping everything else out.

You have the 3 bolts for the bottom ball joint which affect camber so you need it alligned ideally.

Best to get genuine VAG wishbones and balljoint for both sides, along with new bolts etc - pattern ones come with crap bushes that only last a couple of years.

yeah best do both sides , do the steering ends if you can afford it too and any other stuff like top mounts ,..then once its aligned again it should be good for a few years

Talk about digging up a post from the past ..

I'm about ready to do this job now and replace the wishbone(s). How hard is this to do on a DIY basis? I'm expecting to have to pay a bog standard garage about £80 inc VAT if I get them to do it (the same as it cost to do a front wheel bearing).

Either that, or is there anyone down in West Sussex that may be willing to help me out in return for some liquid persuasion and a slightly greasy palm? (That sounds really dodgy).

That's a no then :) Had a quote of £57 from a local garage on a labour only basis which isn't to bad I guess.