Sign in to follow this  
NOM15

9A tps help? Urgent!

Okay,

Been having some idle problems on my 92 16V. A scan showed a faulty throttle position sensor/potentiometer so after a chat with the dealer I got a VW part number and bought a used one on this forum. The new tps matches the part no. I needed according to VW/ETKA, so I went ahead and drove the car to the local garage to have it swapped.

Just got a call from the garage, apparently my old potentiometer (which is causing problems) is different to the new one. The old sensor is stamped with a Bosch part no "0 280 120 418" and VW part no. "054 133 154D", which, after some research is listed as a part for an Audi 100/Passat 16V Automatic!!

Anyone know why there would be a sensor from an Audi/Passat Auto in my rado? Are these parts totally interchangeable? Been trying to find pics but nothing so far.

Thanks,

Simon

I think the corrado one should be 048 133 154 and with an 'F' suffix for the auto, perhaps yours had one fitted from a second hand source at some point? Your part number doesn't seem to exist either :scratch:

I think the corrado one should be 048 133 154 and with an 'F' suffix for the auto, perhaps yours had one fitted from a second hand source at some point? Your part number doesn't seem to exist either :scratch:

Exactly! Don't have ETKA installed on this PC but according to google, 054 133 154 D (or 0 280 120 418) is for big, automatic saloons only, haha. This simply doesn't make any sense.

Hmmm - so does the new one work?

That's the thing, apparently they couldn't even get it on? But I'm thinking if someone installed the wrong part in the past, surely they can't be noticabley different? Argh, Imma have to drop by the garage when I have a chance.

I wonder if someone has fitted a whole passat inlet manifold then? I also thought the cruise control option affected the throttle body too, not sure exactly how though.

...or just a bigger throttle body to get more air into the inlet manifold... I know the Audi100 one used to be used as an upgrade on MKI golf GTIs... wonder if someone found an upgrade for the valver?!?

This is where you find your whole engine is out of some old Audi :D

would be quite nice if it turned out to be a 5cyl 20v :)

i have a complete throttle body & potentiometer of a 9a which i won't be needing if you get stuck.