Sign in to follow this  
g60jaime

ABS rotor removal from rear discs

Hi, any help on the following would be appreciated.

Today me and a very helpful mate changed my discs and pads on the front of my G60 easily and were tackling the rears fine until we stripped the discs off of the stub axle, (we knew we were going to get stuck at some point).

Once the discs were off and the outer ball race was out from the disc there is the obviuos problem of removing the ABS rotor from the disc without damaging it and then getting the inner ball race out from the disc internal. Any tips on doing this would be appreciated.

Would like to have a go at getting them off and fitting them on to the new discs as they are all in good nick, if they break in removal i will have to buy new bits but thats life.

hope someone can help, thanks in advance!

I did mine last November, the ABS rotors came off easily using 2 large flat screwdrivers (one each side) to prise them off gently. To refit them make sure they are fitted squarely and tap them home gently with a rubber mallet.

I later changed them for new ones when I had and ABS issue, but really there was nothing wrong with them as the sourece of my problem was the sensors and not the rotors. They are cheap to replace at £7 each from Ebay. If you re-use yours make sure you clean them well with a wire brush as clogged rotors can cause the ABS to cut in at low speeds.

It would be difficult to remove the wheel bearing cases from the old disks. I replaced mine with new ones (again these wern't expensive). I asked my brother to fit these as he has a press at work but in the end he managed to push them in with a large socket in a vice.

Always fit new cages as VW recommend with new discs - even if they don't distort they will rust and cause ABS issues before the next disc change.

They are a MK4 part so cheap and should be in stock.

thanks to you both for your advice.

Will order some new abs rotors then, seems silly if they are cheap and old ones may only cause problems.

Will i need to do this with the bearings then do you think or could i still try and get them out? i think they were only fitted last year?

cheers

Yeah ideally... they are all what I'd call 5 year parts - ie rear discs / bearings etc tend to last around 5 years / 60k miles so best to renew them all at the same time. If the old ones are ok and you can get them out though it's ok to re-use.

Took your advice, got the new abs rings and am ordering new wheel bearings. will be fitting once they have arrived during the weekday evenings.

All i have to worry about now is pressing in the races.....freezing the races in the freezer and heating the disk and gently closing up in a vice i am hoping should do the trick.

thanks again.

Ideally you'd use a hydraulic press - could get a garage to do this for beer money...

I just used a socket for the small one and a small length of scaffold for the larger one along with a rubber mallet - they seem to go in straight anyway so this method works fine!

Job all done now, new discs all round new pads all round, new rear ABS rotors, new rear wheel bearings and a very useful caliper wind back tool.

Just got to wait for the pads and discs to bed in now. thanks for the help!