Sign in to follow this  
muppetlab

Idle stabilisation valve

Okay just a quickie i have done searches and come to the conclusion my isv may be faulty. So took it off the vr6 and cleaned up with carb spray so all nice and shiny. A previous post said check the spring mechanism so i tried to move the flap that partly covered one of the holes but it did not move. Is this supposed to move when not plugged in or does it need power to move. I am new to these computer fangled cars, give me a set of twin dcoe's any day :D

cheers jez

Thanks for your reply but i may have been a bit heavy handed and fooked it with a screwdriver trying to force it already. Pretty sure it wasn't making a noise before though, well not that i could hear over the aux heater pump! Have tried to adjust the idle with the adjustment screw on the butterfly and the damperpot but since cleaning everything with carb cleaner it wont idle below 1000rpm. At least it will idle now but i think its a bit high and it does not seem to make any difference hot or cold. i am suspecting the coolant sensor, any ideas if i am on the right track? if so how can i test the coolant sensor. i have a multimeter. Also very occasionally the car seems to refuse to pick up from idle and just cuts out rapidly in succession making the car kangeroo for a few secs. is this related to the isv or something else. Any help greatfully recieved. I have been messing with vw's for years but this is my first corrado and my first foray into the world of fuel injection etc. Think i may have to learn fast. cheers jez :D

Thanks for your reply but i may have been a bit heavy handed and fooked it with a screwdriver trying to force it already. Pretty sure it wasn't making a noise before though, well not that i could hear over the aux heater pump! Have tried to adjust the idle with the adjustment screw on the butterfly and the damperpot but since cleaning everything with carb cleaner it wont idle below 1000rpm. At least it will idle now but i think its a bit high and it does not seem to make any difference hot or cold. i am suspecting the coolant sensor, any ideas if i am on the right track? if so how can i test the coolant sensor. i have a multimeter. Also very occasionally the car seems to refuse to pick up from idle and just cuts out rapidly in succession making the car kangeroo for a few secs. is this related to the isv or something else. Any help greatfully recieved. I have been messing with vw's for years but this is my first corrado and my first foray into the world of fuel injection etc. Think i may have to learn fast. cheers jez :D

Temp sensors are checked by measuring the resistance at various temperatures. It's in the red Golf manual (Haynes) and I'll check the measurements later when I get home.

To be honest, they're only a pound or so each so you may be better just replacing them all anyway (theres 3 of them I think?).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure all 3 of them are identical so you could just swap the connetors around to test your theory about it being a sensor fault. This may all depend on your model though .. this is just experience from my 1.8 valver.

Thanks i will try and test them. I unplugged the blue sensor and it made no difference. However checked the ht leads last night and several are arcing in the plug holes. These were the plugs which were black/fouled when i pulled them so maybe this may be the cause of my stuttering problem. Still have no clue on the high idle. will try and get it plugged in and see what errors there are. cheers jez