Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Not getting rid of the 'rado... Well OK I have!

How about a Nissan 200SX S14A Touring? Rare, fast and reliable if looked after properly. Very easy to tune too. Lots of toys in touring spec. Cheap. Rear wheel drive!

But they are as old as a Raddo!

Got to be MKIV Golf R32 surely? ;) Or if you fancy something epix, Jaguar XK? A decent one goes for nearer £6500 but allot of car for the money!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

200SX - wouldn't trust myself with a RWD car to be honest! I don't think I'm a good enough driver not to shove it up a tree.

S2 - too old really, like I say I don't want a "hobby car" anymore, I just want something reliable and practical I can just drive and enjoy.

R32 - I thought about this but the fuel costs put me off!

Jag - just not practical enough. I need a decent sized boot for lugging musical equipment around on occasion.

Fuel costs aren't as bad as you'd think. You can easily get 30mpg+ out of a non-remapped R32. And you only need to run it on 95RON :D

The only problem with R32's is that they are like Corrado's. They get under your skin and it becomes another obession :lol:

But surely running an R32 on 95 is like buying a racehorse and feeding it Wotsits!

That said, mate of mine has a Mazda RX8 and he reckons he gets about 17mpg out of it. Shocking! And it sounds like a milk float.

But surely running an R32 on 95 is like buying a racehorse and feeding it Wotsits!

It's the recommended fuel by Volkswagen in the handbook and petrol cap. Unless it's remapped, an R32 running on 95RON will put out exactly the same power as car on 99RON. I ran my R32 on 95RON for a year before I switched to 99RON after the REVO remap, theres just no point blowing money on expensive fuel if they don't recommend it for the car.

I get anything up to 28mpg out of mine but 26.5mpg is the norm, It's only so bad because I have a really 'sharp' remap though.

That's interesting - I've always put 97RON in the G60, but I can't remember what it recommends in the handbook?

Oddly, my Corrado recommends a minimum of 97RON. It's quite painful paying nearly £90 to fill her up nowadays :(

I'd avoid the Civic Type-R. Friend of mine recently bought a 13,000 mile 57 reg new shape Type-R. Whilst he's pleased with the performance, he's appalled at the build quality of the thing - interior trim is literally coming off it on a daily basis! I had a passenger ride in it the other week and was really stunned at how cheap it felt in certain areas. There's absolutely nothing about it that would appeal to me personally, over something like a good condition MK5 Golf GTI or similar.

Cheers Jim - I've only been a passenger in the old shape (EP3) and to be honest I didn't think the build quality was so bad in that, so maybe it's gone downhill for the new model.

I'd avoid the Civic Type-R. Friend of mine recently bought a 13,000 mile 57 reg new shape Type-R. Whilst he's pleased with the performance, he's appalled at the build quality of the thing - interior trim is literally coming off it on a daily basis! I had a passenger ride in it the other week and was really stunned at how cheap it felt in certain areas. There's absolutely nothing about it that would appeal to me personally, over something like a good condition MK5 Golf GTI or similar.

Bit surprised at this, Jim- reckon your mate must've got a duff 'un! My sister's Civic (latest shape), which she sold last year, had superb build quality- easily as good as any VW I've been in and almost as good as the S-Line A4 Avant she replaced it with.

OK just an update for everyone who kindly gave their advice...

Gone for a 2005 Leon Cupra R, one turned up at my local SEAT dealership, looked a minter, 43k miles, built-in satnav, recaros, stunning car really. The dealership were really good - the sales manager really wanted my Corrado, they even let me have the LCR for a few days to drive about in while they tried to sell the Corrado for me - pretty decent of them.

Then Chris from Cornwall got in touch, drove up and bought the C, sad to see it go, but this is progress - and I absolutely love the LCR - so f*cking quick and the Brembos are terrifyingly good. Plus a kick-ass stereo, satnav, nice interior, decent lights for a change, and it's extremely easy to drive either as a pootling about daily, or get it on turbo and it flies. Perfect car for me right now.

I'll miss the G60 - it was a peach by the time I'd finished ploughing money into it, but I don't want a "hobby car" anymore - too busy and family commitments on their way, I just need a nice, sporty but sensible car that I don't have to lay awake at night worrying about, and the LCR is it.

So thanks to all for your help over the years guys, I'll be sticking around and posting occasionally - onwards and upwards!

I don't have to lay awake at night worrying about, and the LCR is it.

Well if its only for this reason mate, you made the right decision! Good to hear your happy with the choice you made.

Get some pics up Alex! :D

Will do! And the best thing is the G60 has gone to another forum member, so I know it's going to be well looked after.

Indeed 8)

Its mostly spent the last 2 days at work being oggled by everyone else in the yard!

Going over to RK engineering tommorow for a run on the rollers and to check out the oil pressure so we can see whats what, and plan some proper fettling :wink:

I'll get a bit of a members cars thread going tonite so,, if your interested, you can stick around and see where it goes!

If I had to swap the corrado for something else, and had £20k sitting around, I'd (try to) get a "mint" low miler Lancia Delta Integrale EVO 2 - You won't find a car that's more rewarding to drive on 4 wheels!!

Will do! And the best thing is the G60 has gone to another forum member, so I know it's going to be well looked after.

Indeed 8)

Its mostly spent the last 2 days at work being oggled by everyone else in the yard!

Going over to RK engineering tommorow for a run on the rollers and to check out the oil pressure so we can see whats what, and plan some proper fettling :wink:

I'll get a bit of a members cars thread going tonite so,, if your interested, you can stick around and see where it goes!

Nice one! Good luck with it - be interested to see what it's putting out power-wise.