veedub16v

selecting gear issue

was out in the c today when it got stuck in reverse. i managed to get it out of reverse with a bit of brutality but now cant select 1st or 2nd. trying to select 1st gets it into reverse and you cant pull it down for 2nd at all. :censored: 3,4,and 5 all select fine

any ideas whats wrong? im new to cable change, have always had rod change vw in the past

Pop off your gear surround trim and check for the presence of a little circlip on the left hand side of the horizontal shaft of the mechanism.. if it's missing, you'll get these symptoms! Bonus is it's nice and cheap to replace :)

hold on, ill go take some. it all looked ok though. its like somethings misplaced and is causing the linkages to be forced down into the reverse position when you push the lever to the left :shrug:

the selector cable (1) looks like it's adjusted quite a lot to one side which might be an issue on selection, but the shift cable end (2) which can often break (the loop of metal around the rectangular rubber bush) looks OK, although I can't see all of it.

Is the 13mm nut on (1) secure?

shifter.jpg[/attachment:a74q9olj]

have just had a fiddle with that and its not solving the problem.

im pretty sure somethings broken in the shifter box, but its hard to see in there. im guessing its an exhaust off job and drop it down to examine. :censored: :censored: :censored:

have just had a fiddle with that and its not solving the problem.

im pretty sure somethings broken in the shifter box, but its hard to see in there. im guessing its an exhaust off job and drop it down to examine. :censored: :censored: :censored:

you can remove all of the shifter gubbins from inside the car if you grind a small amount of metal off the lip of the opening in the centre tunnel, it's described in (and links from) my shifter rebush thread (somewhere!)

here we go: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66276&p=773646&hilit=gearlever#p769911

cheers mate.

well i have managed to get it into 1 and 2, but its not easy at all. i think the whole shifter unit needs rebushing and maybe when i forced it out of reverse the alignments gone out a bit.

its like im driving a mk2 golf again :lol:

had same symptoms-turned out to be cracked and bent thrust arm.

you could well be right, that's reminded me of another corrado I saw a while back that had gear selection problems and it turned out to be a cracked component of the gear linkage, gearstick end I think.