Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Battery drain issues

Let me set the scene.

My car/battery has been fine for a while now, but i took it to Midland VW on Friday for some general maintenance, wheels bearings, CV joint, etc, nothing engine/electrical based. When i went to pick the car up the battery was flat, so he jump started it and off i went. I drove the 60miles home with no problems. Around 3hours after i got home i went to pick the missus up from work. Started the car and off i went. 5mins into the journey the battery light starts flashing, 30secs later the radio turns off, 30secs later the rev counter dies, then the car splutters to a halt. I figured the battery was dead, its 4yrs old now. So my dad brought me another battery, stuck it on the car and off i went, no problems. Now ive started the car again this morning, started up fine, but the battery light is flashing again.

So, whats goin on?!? Something could be draining the battery, but why all of a sudden? And why would it die whilst im driving, as surely the alternator would be powered it by then?

The same thing has happened to 2 different batteries now, and i need it sorting sharpish otherwise i wont be making the E38 show! Im hoping its the alternator, as an electrical problem will be a massive ballache to find.

Any help appreciated.

It's not being charged - either a duff alternator or the blue exiter wire is not connected...

Could be a loose connection or worn regulator bushes.