Sign in to follow this  
jumboVR6

rattling

exterior rattling coming from rear passenger side. so annoying... stops if i slightly touch the brakes... but all is secure... thought it was something simple like the heat shield... but its fine... help!!! ssoooo annoying!!!! :censored:

Brake caliper carriers :eek:

HAppened with a corrado in Germany last year, they will come loose....

Maybe a slightly loose wheel bearing, allowing the disc to rattle the pads in the calliper. When you touch the pedal, it all gets lined up and the rattle stops. Or maybe the pad backing plates are just a loose fit and are moving slightly; coat the back of the pads with copper grease if that's the case, or get a set of new pads.

Best wishes

RB

Haha, oh dear. Check everything you can think of; take it apart and re-assmeble. Some ideas:

Caliper bolts (unlikely but possible); carrier bolts; etc.

Wheel bearing and nut, plus hub, loose.

Pads; coulbe the backing is coming off the wearing pad; they detach over time/age.

Pads; are not running in the grooves properly, so when the piston backs off say 1mm, the pad only comes back 0.5mm, meaning the pad can rattle between disc and air. I found the sliding faces of where the pad sits will rust (lots), and need a good pollish. Remove rust and pads should slide easily. In this case, you want copperslip on the rear of the pads onto the piston; just dont get the stuff onto the disc.

Heat shield; is either loose or touching the disc.

Handbrake cable is not loose.

Any metal cables ties on the brake line.

The sound must be loud for you to hear it in the car though, so expecting some big movements.

cheers for that stuart.. ill get checking... i think i can hear it inside because im trying to hear it... if you know what i mean.. its definately metal on metal though... gonna try and sort my camber and dash lights today aswell... busy day i think... :notworthy: