Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Stone chips, scratches, dull paint . . . mopping?

New boy here again. Still not regretting buying my VR6 but I'd like to sort out the paint work a little. It being a 17 year old car it is no longer in show room condition. There are stone chips, light scratches and a few deeper scratches. There are even a few bubbles of rust (especially on the rear spoiler). The "office expert on all things" has suggested having the car "mopped". He had this done to his Porsche 911 and it was really effective.

I will freely admit I am fairly hopeless at things mechanical and practical so I think it woud be a waste of cash and dangerous if I bought myself a polisher and put a load circles on the car or grind it down to the metal.

I've heard of mobile paint shops like www.revive-uk.com who will touch up chips and scratches better than I could . . . . so what do you think please? Get the car "mopped" then get the imperfections seen to? Is this the right order to do it? Or the other way around? Also anyone got anyone they would recommend in Surrey to do either or both these jobs? Rough idea of cost?

Thanks experts!

Hi mate,

Machine polishing (or mopping) will certainly bring the paint back to life a lot! It will help remove light scratches (mainly swirls from bad washing techniques etc) and help to fade deeper scratches although won't completely remove them. It won't however do anything with stone chips other than perhaps fade some of the lighter ones. These would need touching up or re-painting. Everyone has them though and you might find that with the paint brought back to life and some of the scratches faded/removed you won't be so bothered (it is 17 years old after all!)

I used to do machine polishing and have done a few forum members cars, you can see these in my thread HERE they have all been very happy with the results. I haven't done it for a while though as in full time work etc now and with doing my R32 conversion etc haven't had the time, but when I'm back on the road (touch wood next week!) I am thinking of doing the odd job again as just bought my first home so any spare cash would be useful!!

If you are interested PM me and I will let you know some more details. :salute: