Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Replacing tailgate?

Anyone replaced a tailgate before that can offer up any tips? I knew I had a small bit of rust but just managed to put a screwdriver right through it earlier. It right on the window seal so Im going to try a replacement tailgate.

I can't offer you any advice mate but I do have an ice grey violet tailgate in my dads garage if you're interested?

Never done it before but the only advice I could give would be to get a few pairs of hands... I bet when you undo the gas struts, the rear hatch weighs a fecking tonne! :)

they're pretty easy to bolt up, mine seemed to line up first time, as Jim says with a big bit of glass in them they weigh a fair bit, the biggest problem is remembering where everything goes if you need to swap locks, spoiler mech etc, take loads of pics before you attempt that!

I can't offer you any advice mate but I do have an ice grey violet tailgate in my dads garage if you're interested?

Thanks, Im going to see if I can get a green one first to save painting.

What the best way to feed all the electrical line through? Was thinking of using a coat hanger or similar wire and taping the wires to feed them through. Always take loads of pics when doing this sort of thing, god knows what we did before the digital camera came along.

Taking it off is easy enough but would advise some extra pairs of hands. Strip all the wiring from inside the rear pillars for electrics and power lock and pull them through carefully, then disconnect the struts with someone supporting the tailgate. You have to access the 4 bolts for the hinges from under the head lining (2 each side) then just remove the tailgate completely. Refitting exactly the same but in reverse.

Stu

...You have to access the 4 bolts for the hinges from under the head lining (2 each side) ...

Stu

I'm sure you don't need to do that, just unbolt the tailgate from the hinges, not the hinges from the car.