Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

(Another) Cooling Issue - UDPATED. NEW LEAK.

Morning All,

This morning I arrived at work in another cloud of steam, although not quite as impressive as last time.

Just before pulling up my coolant level warning light came on, so I knew something was wrong even before stopping. After lifting the bonet I was greeted by a steady flow of steam from the bottom left hand side of the block, coming up from behind the alternator. To confuse things more, I'm pretty sure that there was also a little bit of steam from the bottom of the rad, where the hose connects (although that could have just been blown there in the wind).

Because of the nature of the hiss/spiting sound that went with it I'm assuming it's not a great big rip in the pipe (see previous cooling issue!) but more likely a seal or a loose hose. I'm going back out at lunch to prod some hoses to see if I can make it drip but my early suspicion is that it will only do this under pressure so I may not have much luck.

Any ideas on where I should concentrate my search?

I can't remember if it was you who replaced a burst hose recently, but my bet is on one of the hoses that connect to the water pump/heat exchanger popping, the favourite is the most inaccessible, the short straight one connecting the metal water pipe to the pump.

I can't remember if it was you who replaced a burst hose recently, but my bet is on one of the hoses that connect to the water pump/heat exchanger popping, the favourite is the most inaccessible, the short straight one connecting the metal water pipe to the pump.

That's the one I've already done, although the person who did it for me (smaller hands) just used jubilee clips so I did suspect that it's not tight enough and leaking/popped off under pressure.

Its definately not the same amount of steam as last time though, in that instance it dumped all of the coolant in about 2 seconds - I still have coolant in the system at the moment although it did drop below the level of the sensors.

Edit: Last issue viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82150

Well it's definately from around the pump, I went back to the car at lunch and found that the coolant had now completely drained (right bugger, I only changed it two weeks ago) - poured in about half a litre and it was running out around the area of the house I replaced last time - had a feel around and I couldn't find any damage to it so I assume it's the other hose connected to the pump, the one that feeds the oil cooler and connects to the flange on the block (£45 worth of hose!).

Is there any thing else in that area that could cause it, a gasket or similar?

well water pumps usually leak from the driveshaft, but it could be the plastic thermostat housing at the bottom of the pump, hidden under the PAS bracket unfortunately.

Probably a hose though, one other thing is the metal water pipe, they do eventually corrode through.

well water pumps usually leak from the driveshaft, but it could be the plastic thermostat housing at the bottom of the pump, hidden under the PAS bracket unfortunately.

Probably a hose though, one other thing is the metal water pipe, they do eventually corrode through.

The metal water pipe is at the other end of the hose I've already replaced isn't it ? It's not that then, as this is right on/around the pump (right hand side of it).

Oh, I'd also say it's below the level of the hose I've already replaced.

Am I right in thinking I'd get a much better view of the water pump if I remove the alternator, or is there something else that would block my view even after I did all that?

Right then, I changed the hose which I thought was at fault (the three outlet £45 Oil/Pump/Flange hose) and filled it up with coolant.

Didn't appear to be leaking any more so thought it was all sorted, drove it home and popped the hood when it got home to find a steady stream of coolant. Switched the engine off and it continued leaking for about 15 seconds then slowed and stopped. Wasn't a gush, but was a constant trickle.

Comes from the area of the flange but I'm not convinced it's the flange at fault, it appears to be coming from somewhere else slightly higher up (gasket?). Only appears to happen under pressure though.

Any ideas? Cheers!

PS. Will try and get a pic if I can.

PPS. I drove behind it on the way back (company car) and there wasn't any signs of white smoke.

A few things you could check...

Is the pump bolted to the block tight.

There is a rubber sealing ring inside the pump where it sits against the engine block. Maybe worn or perished.

The gasket that is part of the water pump between the 2 halves of the pump. (went on mine)

Are the 2 halves of the pump bolted together tightly.

A few things you could check...

Is the pump bolted to the block tight.

There is a rubber sealing ring inside the pump where it sits against the engine block. Maybe worn or perished.

The gasket that is part of the water pump between the 2 halves of the pump. (went on mine)

Are the 2 halves of the pump bolted together tightly.

Sorry, should have made it clear. It's no where near the water pump.

The leak is coming from the area around the flange on the block, so it's above the level of the pump. However I'm pretty certain it's not the flange itself.

You know, the more I look at it the more I think it may actually be the flange.

It's a cheaper fix than all the other bigger, more scary things so I'll give it a go. I've done a search and found some advice - lets just hope I can do it without taking the inlet manifold off.

yes you can, sometimes a fiddle, but as long as you can get purchase with an allen key and not round off the heads you can def do this without taking off the inlet, done it a couple of times myself.