Sign in to follow this  
col ready shrimp

corrado 2.0 16v misfire and lack of power

Right just registered i will post up pics later, basically my mate has the aforementioned car and keeps pestering me to help fix it which i don't mind but it has got me baffled too! i have been a vw fanatic for a few years i currently have a mark 2 golf gti 8 valve which i refuse to sell even though i am off to NZ in a month, anyway, basically he has replaced new vw leads dizzy cap and rotor are fine although the lead with the knock sensor one was knackered so he bought some vw ones for 100 quid! no difference, The car has had a new fuel pump in the past too and filter the other dayhe told me he unplugged the isv today and it ran great till he took it for a drive well it wa sfine for a few miles then started missing and lacking power on the throttle, so can't be isv related which i doubted anyway. Any other ideas to check? coil? fuel metering head? where are the relays for the ecu i mean what number? and the hall sender relay the haynes mags cost 100 quid and he cant afford that right now., any help would defo deserve a beer! thanks :D

hall sender and or/ignition coil?

Unfortunately I've only got the hall sender test info for the 1.8, but it must be fairly similar on the 2L, basically you disconnect the loom that runs from the hall sender to the control unit and use an LED test lamp to check for pulsing current when the starter is operated, this presumably tests for a totally knackered hall sender, but they can start to give trouble without failing altogether too.

Can you borrow a coil and distributor from another car to rule this in/out?

Right changed the coil to no avail, still doing it, it runs fine for the first few moments when started from cold, my mate has ordered a new dizzy so see if that helps. We will get there in the end. Thanks

could well be an ecu fault mate, just had this on my polo, if it doesnt run then it could be the immobiliser, try the spare key. works sometimes.

Right update new dizzy fitted all seemed fine apart from slight lagging low revs, messed with timing, and it started bucking and lacking power again! i unplugged what i think is the collant temp sender which is a white twin pin plug, under the thermostat and hey presto runs sweet as a nut again! so we need this sensor i presume although there is a lot of oil covering this from when we removed the dizzy? Thanks in advance, nearly there now! cheers again