Sign in to follow this  
Rambo

Coilpack & Distributor ECU

I have a driven 2 different VR6 engines, both corrado, and both 2.9 ABV, but different ignition systems.

One corrado had a distributor (circular ignition system) was a 93 model, and was slower and felt like it had less torque than the coil pack (rectangular ignition system) corrado, coil pack was a 94 model.

Why so much difference, as I thought all VR6 corrados came as OBD1 and were rated at the same HP and torque. So im guessing the difference is either in my head :cuckoo: , or in the ECU.

What do you guys think, any one driven both and noticed the same thing.

Anyway if its the ecu can I just take the ecu from the coil pack (faster car) and plug it into the distributor engine.

Thanks,

As far as i know the coilpack engine is OBD11 and you can convert the OBD1 to 11 but its alot of work but as you say you can feel a difference.

They are both obd1, but it is agreed that the coilpack set up is more efficient and is commonly found to make better Reading on power and torque figures. Having said that, the ecus are different and not interchangable. Also, the obd2 golf ecus that run on a similar coilpack setup have a different ecu again, due to them running different throttlebodies, senders etc.

So basically the engines are the same, just the management.

So Im guessing factory setting of the distributor ecu is rubbish compared to the coil pack. But the engine is the same.

So does this mean that if I get both remapped they should have identical outputs.

Or will the coil pack always be better compared to the distributor.