Sign in to follow this  
Topaz2008

G60 Suspension Arms

I would like to replace my lower suspension arms/bushes as the bushes are worn and one of the supension arms has had a bump at some point. Does anyone know how to set the position of the lower ball joint. In the past I have replaced the ones on the car and simply marked their previous position. With new suspension arms I was hoping there would be a more scientific approach.

Any ideas???? :shrug: :shrug:

So basically fit them in the centre of the slots and adjust the camber as per Bentley. Once thats done get the tracking checked and thats it??

Yes - the whole front end will need setting up properly after swapping all that out - the new arms alone may change the geometry as the bushes aren't sagged in from years of wearing the newness off.

unfortunately you will indeed need a complete geometry check.

one thing it's worth bearing in mind is that not many garages really take the time to line the front up sufficiently with the back (i.e so the car doesn't effectively "crab" it's way down the road).

if you take it somewhere make sure they will do a decent job of it and ask them to make sure the check the front to rear (as it's adjustable on the ball joints a little to help bring things into line.)

you should also get a printout at the end of it telling you all your figures.

it's also worth mentioning that your rear beam bushes should be in good order if you're having the geometry checked as they will affect the front (obviously); so if the rear is flapping about then it won't track as it should do when you drive off down the road and start going over bumps/cambers etc.

if you're anywhere near DG Autotech then i would ask them to have a look at it first and then go from there - cannot recommend them enough - very friendly, genuine and knowledgeable chaps :D

hope you get it all sorted :)

edit - can't remember now, but the position of the balljoints might not be as adjustable as i thought (can remember g60 wishbones are different to vr6 items ref the ARB, but can't remember about the balljoints now...)

anyway - you'll still need 4-wheel alignment and get it to DG Autotech if you're unsure

I had been looking at something similar and have been recommended a company called Elite Direct http://www.elitedirect.com/WheelAlignment/Wheel-Alignment.html

which are not to far from me. A friend had their car adjusted by them and they supply the printout both before and after.

I have uploaded a file from ETKA which shows the rear beam. Can you let me know what parts are the bushes that need replacing?