Sign in to follow this  
TomD

Another non - starter question....

Hi All!

My car has consistently had a tempremental non starting problem. However its got worse and now wont start at all. Battery seems to be strong (12.3 with everything off inc engine) and alternator puts out good voltage (13.5-14v)

Been through several ignition switches but it has never cured it.

I've just spent a while trying all the connections...

All connections seem fine, the issue seems to be the 3 month old alternator....

When you turn the key to ignition, the started motor makes a noise which at first I thought was the rad fan - whirring turning noise but pretty fast (but quiet like a fan) but the actual engine doesnt turn over.

The starter motor is a few months old - but it seems like is knackered somehow? Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. Car bump starts fine, and over recent weeks the starting would sometimes be really weak (like a flat battery) turning over really slowly but starting...which would make sense if the starter was struggling. But battery voltage still good.

Tried this too...

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... CH#p855521

but it made no difference...

Do i need to forlk out for a new starter??

the starter solenoid may not be throwing the gear out on the starter to mesh with the flywheel, easy enough to take off and check with 12v direct,

the VW wiring gets tired with age and so do the solenoids, exchange ones sometimes don't get new parts, solenoids are usually a problem when hot though, when the magnet is weaker. Some people even relay up the solenoids to get a better feed straight from the battery to them.

What about the metal piece that actually turns the ignition switch? Have you tried just plugging the ignition switch in and putting your key/screwdriver directly into it and starting it like that?

What about the metal piece that actually turns the ignition switch? Have you tried just plugging the ignition switch in and putting your key/screwdriver directly into it and starting it like that?

Yes - no difference :(

the starter solenoid may not be throwing the gear out on the starter to mesh with the flywheel, easy enough to take off and check with 12v direct,

the VW wiring gets tired with age and so do the solenoids, exchange ones sometimes don't get new parts, solenoids are usually a problem when hot though, when the magnet is weaker. Some people even relay up the solenoids to get a better feed straight from the battery to them.

I tried relaying the solenoid as I said above (think i edited the post after you replied though!

Might try and get it off and check then - so connect it to the battery and it should spin?

Cheers!

Tom

I'd just wire up the solenoid with the starter off the car, you'd have to clamp the motor well if you tried to run that, big old kick from the motor itself :shock: - haven't ever risked doing that myself BTW

but if the solenoid (still attached to the motor) won't throw the motor gear out (don't need to wire the motor up), then you might just get away with sticking a second hand solenoid on it, I did.

Right - took off the starter, cleaned it all up - chickened out of hooking it up to the battery when i read your second post!

Put it all back together - and its starting fine....??? Argh!

All the connections were fine, my oil catch tank is directly about the starter and has been dripping oil on it.. could that have caused a dodgy connection??

Damn electrics.....

probably disturbing the earths helped, worth cleaning them up with some fine wet and dry and protecting with wax spray

Right....revival short lived!

Got the AA out to have a look at it - several tests confirmed that the GSF starter motor I bought a few months ago is to blame - boo.

Lost the receipt to :(