Sign in to follow this  
stevej

steering rack boot replacement

Hi,

needing to replace one of the steering rack boots as its burst. Now reading the bently, it states that the boot can be removed and replaced by pulling along the tie rod and then over the tie rod end, once the tie tod end is disconnected from the bearing housing. However on using the search, various posts say the tie rod end needs to be removed from the tie rod.

Having had a look it makes sense to remove the tie rod end, but i guess it depends on if the narrow end of the boot can stretch over the TR end ok.

Any definitive answers.

cheers

Its a rather small hole to be able to fit the track rod end through so i highly doubt it. however having never tried i cant say for 100%.

just count how many turns it takes to remove the t.r.e then when putting it back on you should be roughly back where you started with no need to track it up, assuming the tracking is ok in the first place :silly:

I did this job on my 8V and actually found it easier to remove the entire trackrod from the steering rack.

You'll need a 32mm spanner to do the job, but by doing it that way you avoid removing the trackrod end and therefore avoid the need to reset the geometry (although, as it turned out I replaced both TRE's anyway, but thats by the by).

Hope that helps - but a definite answer is that no, the narrow end of the boot will not fit over the TRE without risking some damage or potential stretchage to the boot itself.

Tom

cheers guys,

had another look at the bently and found another bit that says to remove the TRE, which does make absolute sense.

Dont suppose anyone knows the size of the locking nut... just need to get a slightly larger spanner.