Sign in to follow this  
Eug

Hiding the transponder in the dash

Hi guys

Having owned 2 Corrado VR6's in the past I know that you guys are the most helpful bunch compared to the other VW forums out there :D

I've now got a Mk4 Golf Cabrio.

I only received one transponder key with the car and now I've purchased a Keyless Entry sytem from RightClick.

It's perfect for when you already have central locking, but want a flip-key remote.

They have excellent support, a wide range of remote styles to choose from and I thoroughly recommend them.

It looks like this: http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=671

ke669w-ultimate.jpg

Anyway I've moved the transponder into the remote and it starts the car fine and everything.

To get a new transponder key is going to cost about £100 what with ordering a new key and getting it programmed.

So I want to fit the transponder to the car so it's permanently there and then I can use any of my two flip keys to start the car (or indeed the original key minus transponder).

I know that you need to to tape the transponder to the transponder loop that sits at the entrance to the ignition.

I have held it in place (as if it were in the key) and started the car fine, but as soon as I remove the loop from the ignition and try to start the car it cuts out.

Has anyone done this ?

Is there a certain position that is favoured ?

Many thanks in advance.

Long live the Corrado !

Hi guys

Having owned 2 Corrado VR6's in the past I know that you guys are the most helpful bunch compared to the other VW forums out there :D

I've now got a Mk4 Golf Cabrio.

I only received one transponder key with the car and now I've purchased a Keyless Entry sytem from RightClick.

It's perfect for when you already have central locking, but want a flip-key remote.

They have excellent support, a wide range of remote styles to choose from and I thoroughly recommend them.

It looks like this: http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=671

ke669w-ultimate.jpg

Anyway I've moved the transponder into the remote and it starts the car fine and everything.

To get a new transponder key is going to cost about £100 what with ordering a new key and getting it programmed.

So I want to fit the transponder to the car so it's permanently there and then I can use any of my two flip keys to start the car (or indeed the original key minus transponder).

I know that you need to to tape the transponder to the transponder loop that sits at the entrance to the ignition.

I have held it in place (as if it were in the key) and started the car fine, but as soon as I remove the loop from the ignition and try to start the car it cuts out.

Has anyone done this ?

Is there a certain position that is favoured ?

Many thanks in advance.

Long live the Corrado !

Yes there is. Pop the instrument cowl off, also remove the right hand vent and its cover.This will expose a vertical metal section which holds the control unit for i-dont-remember-what. The other side of that same metal section is free. If you look carefully, from that point you will be within 10 inches of the trigger wires to the central locking unit. Thats also exactly where the OEM alarm/remote control unit is meant to be placed.

VW still sells the short piece of OEM wiring to link to the OEM alarm, which means that you dont need to butcher the main loom, but can use that to splice in the remote locking interface, and use it to trigger your alarm go-hot wire, without cutting into anything else. Then if it breaks down, you only have to unplug this additional section and you can still operate the car.