Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Other 16v Cams???

OK we all know the KR into a 9a cam trick...

However what other 16v cam recommendations are there out there?

Either with or without head work??

set of ABF mk3 16v cams? bit higher lift than KR ones.

other than that it's £££ for schricks or similar that won't be of full benefit until you flow the head

this will give you an idea of the pros/cons more power/less low end torque of changing cams and headwork:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfnew_torque_runs.jpg[/attachment:cl3n29f2]

new_power_runs.jpg[/attachment:cl3n29f2]

what are the "barney 276's" ?

also is this the cams with just flowing and headwork without touching the block?

To be fair I think all those engines had at least a ported and polished head,

I don't know any of the exact specs but you'll only get the best from any set of high lift cams with good headwork, having said that the 16v head is not nearly as restrictive as the 8v (both in standard form)

abf exaust cam and kr inlet is whats been highly recomended to me, you can also cut the pulley end off kr/9a exaust cams and use them for inlet cams, you have to put a new timing mark on 6 teeth further around, theres alot of info if u google it.

abf exaust cam and kr inlet is whats been highly recomended to me, you can also cut the pulley end off kr/9a exaust cams and use them for inlet cams, you have to put a new timing mark on 6 teeth further around, theres alot of info if u google it.

Would be interested to know if the ABF exaust and KR inlet cam combo works well and what sort of gains they would give?

Any one able to shed some light?

I don't know the exact specs but for emissions the ABF had higher lift but shorter duration cams than the KR

The result is very similar characteristics for each pair against each other

I've also been wondering about a mix of ABF/KR cams, but I'm loathed to mess about on mine now as I know from 4 or 5 rolling road sessions that the KR pair give very good torque (and no real power issue, nice smooth graph to near 6,500) and without upping the 7,200 rev limit there's not much to be gained for me

If it was a stripped out 2 door mk1 or 2 then sod the torque and go for peak power :D

If you had mappable fuelling and ignition then you might squeeze more mid range grunt and top end power using higher lift cams, but for all that time/money/hassle I think I'd go full on ABF turbo :grin:

Yep, this is what Stealth used to do years ago - they seem to go for lads now when they come up for sale!

So a KR inlet with a bit of fueling and ignition tuning would be just as good as abf/KR?

what about the shricks :D

are they good at the high end without a loss in the low end as i've heard KR inlet gives shoddy low end torque

are they good at the high end without a loss in the low end as i've heard KR inlet gives shoddy low end torque

Graham from DG said that with a bit of ignition tuning it will help inprove the low down torque

look at the torque plot at the top, the green line is KR cams :)

In fact look at the other plots too, the aftermarket cams all shift the torque curve up the rev range, which is how they produce the extra peak power

best way to get good low end torque is a 9A inlet cam :)

look at the torque plot at the top, the green line is KR cams :)

In fact look at the other plots too, the aftermarket cams all shift the torque curve up the rev range, which is how they produce the extra peak power

best way to get good low end torque is a 9A inlet cam :)

So judging from those maps... a 9a with stock inlet, KR exhaust and a bit of timing adjustment's the way to go?

So judging from those maps... a 9a with stock inlet, KR exhaust and a bit of timing adjustment's the way to go?

no,

KR inlet and KR/9A exhaust cam, 2L bottom end and a flowed head, you'll get around 170bhp and very good torque,

42mm inlet manifold for max torque, only use a 50mm inlet with higher lift cams, no point with KR cams.

Rolling road tweak to ignition and fuelling (hour or so) and it'll be fully set up.

no,

KR inlet and KR/9A exhaust cam, 2L bottom end and a flowed head, you'll get around 170bhp and very good torque,

42mm inlet manifold for max torque, only use a 50mm inlet with higher lift cams, no point with KR cams.

Rolling road tweak to ignition and fuelling (hour or so) and it'll be fully set up.

So by the sounds of it a 9a engine, Kr inlet, 42mm manifold and RR tuned should give a good result? And if I wanted more I would need the head flowing.

will have to look into getting my head flowed at some point after doing the above 8)

they all swap about, KR may be marginally better than a 9A as standard (minor water channel changes around the inlets), ABF has slightly revised valvegear and is generally considered the best 16v head (it was the last revision from VW after all)

Ported and flowed they're all much the same.

the abf head isnt quite as interchangeable, i cant quite remember the specifics but my friend stumbled across a few problems when he was hopin to fit kr head to his abf block, he settled for the abf head in the end. kr and 9a heads are the same apart from the inlets, krs are slighty larger, as far as standard heads go the kr flows better than the 9a, but after a port and polish they should be the same. 9a engines are better for low down torque due to the smaller inlet tracts and 42mm inlet mani and cams, i noticed a good overall improvement when i had 50mm inlet manifold and 9a inlet cam. but a loss in low down torque wen i added a kr inlet cam to the equation, i do miss the torque, until i fit my 4branch i cant say fairly, but my mk2 with my work tools in the back would av wiped the floor with the empty corrado which i have got the weight down a fair bit. if i was to do a 16v engine swap again i think ied fit an abf on kr management my friends in his mk2 pulls amazing with little modifications, the guys on club gti do swear by 9as tho.