Sign in to follow this  
krnau

shifter / gearbox play

Hi, I have been reading tons of threads about shifter play, but I havn't been able to fix mine.

I have the (usual?) play when a gear is engaged, that I can move the shifter both front/back something like 1cm or 2, but it isn't annoying me.

What I would like to fix is a left - right movement, both with and without gears selected, and that is about 3 or 4 cm :nuts: . I have checked for the shifter circlip and it is there. I have been investigating and the shifter seems correctly hold in place.

I have traced it to the top of the gearbox where the cables are attached. I have found that there is one (the top cable) which mounts have some play (something like a lever, sorry, I've got no pics and I think I won't be able to have any because there are lots of pipes, etc between me and the gearbox :( *).

I have tried to re-tighten all nuts but they are alright I think. I have noticed that there are some ¿spacers? between nuts and bolts and mechanism which, IMO, if they were thinner it wouldn't have that excessive play (they might need replacing... or not? sorry no idea).

Any help or tips will be welcome :notworthy:

edit: here is a pic I found on google. It's not a KR but it will help to understand what I mean. The play is in the three red-circled nuts. thanks for looking!!

0327091026b.jpg[/attachment:8sfezsdd]

*if only someone could post a pic of the top of the gearbox...

if you cant get the correct adjustment with the adjuster on the gearbox, i believe you have to have a vw tool to reset the postion of the gearing.

think they used to sell them on egay for fairly reasonable money, worth a butchers.

well, shifting adjustment I thinnk it is OK. It is hard to shift 1st gear sometimes (sounding like KRRRRRRRRAAACC) but if I select " a bit " of 2nd and then go straight to 1st, it never makes that noise.

All of the other gears make no noise and I can select them reasonably very a lot much VERY fast :)

the thing is that I would like to sort the play...

thanks for your reply

sounds like the resetting tool could help, one of my mates had a golf and 1st had worked its way over to just behind reverse somehow. didnt completely fix this but it was a vast improvement. might have enough movement to fix yours.

not a vw one but basically the same thing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw3104-mk2-mk3-golf-jetta-gear-selector-repair-tool_W0QQitemZ120497586344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0e3740a8

if I'm not misunderstanding you, the adjuster tool you are refering to is the one that sits around the shifter konb isn't it? like some kind of square with strange shapes inside? Pls correct me if I am wrong :o

The problem is that the play in my shifter comes from the top of the gearbox.

yeah it helps you reset where the gears are selected, which it sounds like your going to need to do if you want to alter the left/right movement.

its just a matter of taking it all apart and inspecting it for wear ...replace what you can

other bits can be tweaked or a washer fitted here n there to help

that ebay link is for a golf...wont work on corrado cable boxes

you can align yours with a 8mm drill bit on the gearbox end

ive fitted a later passat tower to mine thats got less play , it also has 3 mouting bolts for the cable bracket which ive now fitted the verdict motorsport bushes too..or i believe the mk4 golf parts fit straight on and are even nicer

also had a nylon cable end bush custom made as the rubber one is rubish

while mine isnt perfect and im still not 100% happy..theres no way i get even close to 3-4 cm slop in it , something is badly worn on yours