Sign in to follow this  
krnau

exhaust blowing... EDIT: stainless manifold query

update: would one of these fit to corrado kr, without the need to buy a cat supressor pipe, etc?

http://cgi.ebay.es/VW-MK2-GOLF-GTI-16V- ... 33579ceddc

so, it is, drop it in the car, and bolt on to the mid exhaust silencer???

hey here we are with the weekly corrado breakdown!

This week we are facing a blowing exhaust. It sounds louder from exhaust manifold than from the tailpipe :lol: and the same with smelling (more at front, than at back of the car).

Are there any parts suitable to blow? such as gaskets, flexible part of manifold, etc?

how can I locate the defective section? I have thought about throwing water on the manifold (when cold obviously!) and then starting the engine, to look for bubbles.. but it might cause corrosion :nuts:

any help will be welcomee!

EDIT

I have found a cheap exhaust manifold made of stainless steel:

53041445677.jpg

however, it seems to be for a 9a corrado, see next pic with differences between kr and 9a downpipes:

3734319fsdfsdf-efsd.png

you guys where did you get your exhaust manifold for kr engines from?????

or.. where could I get a cheap (but not rubbish) exhaust manifold from?

mm and... what thoughts do you have about wrapping/or not the exhaust manifold? Some say it will keep the engine bay cooler (or less hot :lol: )... some others say that as heat doesn't disipate, exhaust won't last that longer...

Sounds like it's the manifold.

Don't throw water on it! :lol: Check above and below for exhaust gases escaping. Do this in the dark with a light shining in the bay.

it smells of exhaust gases around the exh manifold zone (well, I can't use the heater because I keep breathing gases all of time :lol: ).

But I have had a look and I can't find whereabouts it is blowing :(

I blocked the tailpipe's exit yesterday with an old t-shirt yesterday, and the engine kept runing as if I had done nothing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back in the dim and distant past, when working on cars with carburettors, I would do as you did and block the exhaust but in addition would disconnect the vaccuum hose drom the distributer and dip it in a can of Redex. The Redex (upper cylinder lubricant) gets sucked into the inlet manifold, gets burned in the cylinder and would cause lots of white smoke which will pour out of your leak. I suppose you could do something similar to make the exhaust smoky.

yeah block the exhaust.

get a torch, let engine go cold,inspect visually ,and feels the exhaust gases escaping, obvously not too long youll get burnt!

oh.. I found that the exhaust manifold is broken somewhere. I couldn't tell exactly where, it seems to be just under the manifold ,because I can feel the gases coming out from there if I put my hand around that section. As I haven't got an elevator... I think the time has come to take it to a local garage :(

oh and I have found that there is some part missing in my wiper assembly, I'll open a new thread on it.

omg it sounds like a 40 year old car :lol: I will try to take the exhaust manifold apart tomorrow. I hope I can, ... I hope that the bolts are not rusted and I can remove them easily..... without having to use my special tools :norty: (I'll post pics if so :lol:)

is there anything I'd take in count? i.e. blocking head exhaust ports so nothing falls in them, etc? I've never done it before so any thoughts about it will be a great help to me!

you should be fine, youll no doubt be wrestling with the corroded manifold nuts/studs, get a decent set of nut busters that can knurl into them if they round off., id prob order a set of studs and nuts ,if i was replacing the manifold gasket , ect.

A couple of the manifold to downpipe bolts are a pain in the ar*e to reach but can be done with the car raised securely on stands. The manifold to head bolts can be frozen and may require a good soaking in WD40 or suchlike. I always as a matter of course plug up any openings as I strip anything, usually with a greasy rag if it's a "big hole" or whatever I've got kicking around that will fit. I tend to collect all the covers and bungs that are fitted to new parts or are part of the shipping bits on anything that's delivered to the house such as washing machines. The compressible rubber bushes used to stop the drum moving during transit on these are great for plugging the inlet ports on the head!

my manifold is solid, get quite alot of movement from the engine so i fitted solid front mount to compensate.

how could I prevent the exhaust manifold from rust? is there any special paint (hight temps specific)? or it isn't worth it?

I've just gone to the car and sprayed WD40 (or 3in1 or whatever it is :lol:) all round the manifold bolts. I'm going down right now to try to take it apart so fingers crossed :nuts:

I hope I don't come back with an :epicfail: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:

:norty:

:epicfail: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Couldn't manage to remove lower nuts as I don't have an elevator :( I'll take it to the garage tomorrow :(

get some axle stands or for a few quid more hydraulic ones. one of the best tools to purchase in my opinion. much cheaper than using a mechanic

get some axle stands or for a few quid more hydraulic ones. one of the best tools to purchase in my opinion. much cheaper than using a mechanic

well I have axle stands and two hydraulic jacks, but my mechanic says he will have a look tomorrow *for free* (I've spent about 9.000€ in there!) to try and see where it is blowing...

fair enough, it is a job to miss if you can. it was great fun for me

axle stands is all i used, two extension bars got far enough to grab the nuts.

fair enough, it is a job to miss if you can. it was great fun for me

axle stands is all i used, two extension bars got far enough to grab the nuts.

I have been able to grab one nut (of the 4 that hold the manifold into the flexo) and I have almost sh¡tted in my pants due to all the power I have done :lol: and the nut hasn't even moved 0.00000000000001mm :(

oh and I only have one extension bar, and 0 x deep sockets :(

(yes, I need to buy some tools :lol: )

yeah i know that feeling, gets even better with the manifold to head ones. i seem to think there was 6 on the flexi on mine maybe 8v is different.

good luck to your mechanic :lol: