Sign in to follow this  
VEEDUBBED

More clutch probs...

Right then lads,

I've recently fitted a Competition Clutch stg 4 clutch in place of the other

carbon/Kevler garbage that i got from the states as it slipped badly even

after the break-in period.

The clutch its self is fine,grabs like a mofo but that's to be expected,as i've only

done 50km/s distance since fitting it and i need another 450 miles to finish.

My big problem is that,apart from the hard pedal,is that the clutch has a different biting point.

When cold on first starting/moving the car the clutch has about half an " play so,even if it grabs,

i can atleast pull away.The problem arises when the car is at normal operating temp.,i loose all play

The clutch bites and drags as if the clutch slave cyl. doesn't push the clutch in enough to engauge the gears and i'm left with only a few mm's of play.

Faulty master cyl?,old fluid?,faulty clutch?.

Cars gettin on my fu$$in nerves now..

i am also having this problem, if i am driving the car around town, the biting point for the clutch seems to move towards the floor and after a couple of miles of town driving it feels as if the clutch is not fully disengaging and it becomes very difficult to get into gear, i have tryed to bleed both cylinders but this has not helped, any advice would be good.

Kev

i have two reciepts from 2003 for a couple of cylinders, can only assume they are master and slave, do you have part numbers so i can check. there is some fluid on top of the gearbox that look a bit suspect but i can be certain if it is clutch fluid (engine bay is quite dirty), clutch was replaced a little while back in the hope of solving this problem but hasnt helped

Go for the slave then mate - even if it was done in 2003 that's 7 years ago now and if the fluid has not been changed in that time then it may have rotted a new one...

Take a pic if you like but I would buy and fit a new slave

do you know roughly how much a slave cylinder is gonna set me back? Do VW still stock it? and is it a hard job to do in the driveway?

Kev

£55 roughly from VW

Easy enough to change but you also need an Eezibleed kit to push some fluid thru...

sorry to keep asking questions, but what is an eezibleed kit where can i get one and how much?

Hi mate,

Forgot all about this one..,i changed the slave and master cylinder and flushed the whole car's clutch and brake

systems using Ferodo 5.1 racing brake fluid,totally transformed the clutch pedal 'feel',especially as i have a Competition clutch stg.4 racing clutch fitted aswell.

I used a Mityvac pump to do the job single handed but if i'd do it all again i'd use a Gunsons eezi bleeder,when you use this tool it comes with a selection of different caps so you'll have no probs.

Make sure there's enough air in the tyre though.