Sign in to follow this  
ejmgt

power surge, help still needed please

only started a few days ago but driving me nutts already, when ever i have the heated window on or the blower i cant have the sterio up louder then 15 or it just turns off. or if i have the the blower on and the sterio but then open the window it cuts the sterio out.

any one had any of these problems before or have an suggestions of what it could be?

any help would be great

my mate had a mk3 polo with an alpine stereo that did this.we used thicker cable (like the stuff you would run to an amp) for the earth and power and the problem dissapeared

waynos thanks for the info, i also used to own polo gt's and g40 but never had n e of those problems. but then i spent alot of time and money on them lol

the problem has not gone away yet even after changing all the visable earth wires for brand new ones. i have also noticed when i break its lighing up the front passenger side light and when im stationary the power serge seems to be worse

anyone else got n e ideas of been thru the same thing ??

Low voltage. I had this on my vulva and ended up wiring the stereo directly to the battery via a suitable fuse.

Sounds to me as if your stereo is wired in to the wrong curcuit behind the dash.

It should be wired to :-

blue/white = Speed sensor feed (if needed)

brown/red = Ignition live (this wire can be traced back to the ignition switch)

black = +12v to aerial amplifier (switched feed from head unit)

grey/blue = illumination feed (to turn on head unit illumination when the lights are switched on)

red/white = permanent live

brown = earth

If it is wired up correctly the you could have a faulty ignition switch.

the sterio has been in the car for 2 years now, but saying that i know some monkey b4 me had messed about with the sterio wires. but why would it start now?

about 3 months ago i got a small puff of smoke come up from behind the steering wheel, i checked for burnt wires and n e other signs and saw nothing and i didnt come across n e thing not working. could it be n e of the relays as its not the fuses as i have checked all of them already?

i have also nocited that when i turn on the heated window or blower the right hand indercator in the dash cluster lights up slightly

I would carefully examine the wires behind the steering shroud if i were you.

That puff of smoke could have been a wire shorting against the steering column.

Really needs investigating before you end up having a fire in the car.

i have looked at the wires with the cover and steering wheel off but couldnt find n e burnt wires and like i said that happened about 3 months ago

Difficult to know without actually looking at the car myself of course.

Have known these kind of faults to occur with a faulty ignition switch in the past.

valverian buddy u have been very helpfull thank you very much, i will get the switch checked.

once again buddy thank you