Sign in to follow this  
simonsxi

SCREEN VENT PROBLEM?

HI dudes, recently bought a 96 vr6 in black :D however with the heater blowing on the screen only seems to work on drivers side not passenger side ,thought this to be a little strange any idea's ?? :scratch: cheers

Hey Mate,

Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=86846 he has been having the same issue. I am no expert at this and can only comment from what problems I have had with mine.

If you take the dash out, then you see a plastic tube straight up from the heater box (which is behind your stereo and heater controls) and its this tube that provides air to the windscreen. When you pu the dash back in, you see that this tube goes over a hole of the dash and there is no tubing that distributes the air to key points expect for the dash itself. As far as I know, none of the cogs on a late VR6 affect which side the air blows out (early might be different as it has sliders like my girlfriends mark one and that does have sides) so it could be something blocking airspace in that side of the dash.

Alternatively, if you have it all out, you can see that the heater control is attached to the heater box by metal cables know as bowden cables. These move flaps that are covered in foam which control where the air gets pushed out. In mine (a 95 VR6), the foam has started to degradate meaning that even when I have the it set to only blow air out of the windscreen, air still escapes out of the front vents. Do you get a strong amount of air out of the drivers side or is it quite weak? When you change the heater setting from front vents to windscreen, can you hear a small thump, like a flap shutting over the whole. If not (and its not amazingly likely) it could be that the flap is not moving at all and you are constantly getting a small amount of air through the windscreen all of the time. in which case, it could be a faulty heater control or a snapped bowden cable. Luckly there are some really good guides in the wiki to fix both :)

JP