Sign in to follow this  
Boomshankaman

Alternative supercharger

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with alternative superchargers to the G60. I know rotrex and Lysholm do superchargers but have they ever been fitted to the 1h or pg engine?

Thanks

I don't think people usually use rotrex on G60s usually VRs, Lysholms are the most common. I thought about it a while ago but stuck with the G-lader. I read a few stories about Lysholms siezing (albeit with smaller pullies) and then people having massive problems getting repairs and replacements because BBM are based in USA. However they sound awesome! I think people have used Eatons on G60s too?

eaton M90's and lysholms are common replacements here in the USA.

I've gone through a few lysholms and stuck with my larger one. =-)

1.65L/rev is pure bliss

I had a BBm charger on my G60 and it was the best decision I ever made. They are reliable and dont need rebuilding plus that noise is awesome! :D

I used to have a bahn brenner lysholm on mine, i never got to experiment with smaller pulleys as i sold the car but i felt an improvement in the mid range with just the standard pulley compared to a stage 4 g60 and 68mm pulley. I also loved the noise but its not for everyone? As i understand it these are now obsolete you may be able to still pick one up but i would be concerned about aftersales support if they are no longer made. I think bahn brenner are in the process of developing another charger for the g60 and I think a british company called mad doggy syndicate do a bigger lysholm charger also for the g60.

Like already mentioned bigger chargers can be made to fit and should offer some good gains but these arent just a bolt on affair.

Don't really get why people buy G60s then take the G60 charger out and put something else in. It's called a G60 because of the charger in it - and that is what makes it special. It's fragility just adds to the uniqueness.

I bought a corrado because it was unique, the g60 was a temporary added bonus. When I bought the car it had previously destructed a g60 charger leaving a rather massive dent in the hood. My charger lasted about 3 years, I tried to have it rebuilt and they said there were small chips on the apex slots meaning the apex strips could jump out.

At that moment I went naturally aspirated for 9 months when I found an slk32 amg supercharger for sale across the country. Finding a decent g60 was nearly impossible during that time and I didn't mind custom mounting something. My car jumped in uniqueness at the point when I mounted it because I was the first person to do it with a c, then a Norwegian guy followed, then a 16v guy followed, blah blah blah.

Now I have switched to something that no one had ready access to, a boat supercharger with the same displacement but less weight, had a bbm it wasn't the same.

Cool.

I have been buying a few destructed G60 chargers of ebay.de and stripping them down to use components to build a few back up chargers. At the moment I have 1 back up and two exploded ones awaiting investigation.

Also bought a supposedly shitty PG G60 engine complete with charger, gearbox and loom for 300bones, and everything is in rather good nic. The engine has been opened up to 1805cc and running Mahle pistons and geometry is within tolerance - what a steal. Rebuilding at the moment.

I digress - for me the Orbital Scroll G Charger is the only one I will use, regardless of reliability. it's just cooler.