Sign in to follow this  
Novastrike

Condensation/Water in rear quarter panels

Hi Guys,

I have a build up of condensation in both rear quarter panels. It appears to me more prominent towards the back of the car but I can't quite figure out what is causing it.

It only appears on the inside the space between the outer body and inner body (hope that makes sense!) I have had the drivers side rear window replace and have checked the sunroof drains all the way until they enter the body of the car.

Any suggestions?

John

Have u checked that the sunroof drain pipes are actually going out of the car?is that what you mean?

There is a hole in the bottom of the rear quarter to allow water out. It might be worth taking the inner door card off and checking that it's not blocked. Not easy to get at though, but a good opportunity to check for rust in that area....

There is a hole in the bottom of the rear quarter to allow water out. It might be worth taking the inner door card off and checking that it's not blocked. Not easy to get at though, but a good opportunity to check for rust in that area....

Where abouts is this hole? I've got the same issue on one side of the rear quarter. I've got no sunroof so it can't be blocked drains. There is also no water getting in from the rear quarter window.

I've had the rear cards off for the last few weeks and can't seem to find where the water is getting in. Water isn't pouring in so it hard to tell where its coming from.

Just to clarify, the condensation is only on the inside of the sheet metal. Windows etc are actually fine!

When you take the rear door cards off there are various holes that allow you to see through from the inside to the outer shell of the body. the metal on mine has a white color to it. It is this area here that is condensing and i think it is what is causing the quarter panels to rust through. As I have the door cards off at the moment, i want to try and sort it now :)

John

Well the drain pipe from the sunroof goes down the C piller and exits via a little hole in the rear 3/4 panel at the bottom. The pipe could be out and the hole blocked with crap. The best way I found to get the pipe back in is to take the back bumper off and try to pull th pipe back through the hole. To check to see if it's in the hole, pull back the carpet in the boot on the side you are concerned about and get you hand in there and feel for the pipe.

On a side not, I find that because I don't use my car during the week that it's always steamed up this time of year. Or there must be a tramp living in there during the week?

The hole that Toad mentioned must be the sunroof drain hole that the pipe goes through and not available on non sunroof models.

On the opposite side to the my leak I get water beading on the outer skin (outer shell) of the quarter panel. I think this happens when there is moisture in the car and it collects on the quarter panel due to the temperature difference to the inside and outside of the car. Luckily my leak, where ever it is, hasn't been there long to cause any rust.

Yes mate, so if the inside panel was removed you will need to stick a camera down into the sill to see it as you cant get your head through the hole :lol: if you know what i mean.

Hope that helps a bit.

You learn something new every day. 10 years of Corrado ownership and I never knew that was even there!

That would explain the small amount of water on mine. That seems a very likely place for rust to form. Luckily the 8v is free of it but I better check the Storm when I get it out of storage in the spring.

Cheers Kip :salute:

No problem, I still haven't checked my VR yet but its something I MUST do in spring time for certain.

Will have to look for the hole Tom's on about too :lol:

Stick a camera down the rear panels with the flash turned off and (holding very steady!) you will see if there are pin pricks (LOL at the **) of light picked up which shows that the holes do still drain.

All along the sill areas there are rubber gromets that can be removed to feel for dirt build up and taking the gromets out will also show whether there are rust issues around the gromet holes themselves which could also explain how 'too much' water is getting in.

Not a very good picture and I'm sure you know what I mean/ where the gromets are....

I have just been underneath my car and the gromit holes closest to the wheel arch on both sides have no cover at all. Should they? if so then I think I have found my problem :)

JP

If you mean areas along the sill itself then I would guess that there should be covers. I can't think of any along the sill that don't have gromets.

However, there are other 'holes' underneath, e.g. just rear of the sub frame that are not covered.

Thanks Butterfly, you have been a huge help.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the section that is missing a gromit as I cant tell if it should be missing or not.

Thanks!

john