Sign in to follow this  
marmite monster

02 subaru impreza any good?

need a car to take the dog/bikes snowboards ect arround and ive got some adventures planned that would be better with a awd car anyone owned a bug eye impreza? was thinking of getting a wrx wagon.

somthing like this

2003SubaruImprezaWRXWagon.jpg

they any good what do i need to look out for?

I used to own a classic then a hawkeye, they are pretty bullet proof, i never had a single problem with either.

Build quality is not up to german standard, but the later ones are a lot better.

The only major problem with the bug-eyes is purely cosmetic!! :lol:

karl.....a skoda!! i mean im all up for the 20v and haldex combo but look at it its horrid! the scooby all be it a bit chavy has, awd over 200bhp 4pots etc and marlie will love it in the back mid 4 wheel drift lol!

Had a load of jap stuff over the years as well as all my VW 's they are sound uber reliable prone to the flexi intake pipe on the turbo to become brittall on high milers thats it .check out the scooby forums mate as ever the best people to ask are the people who drive them day to day :D

if you get a bug eye dont expect to get the morrette headlights anywhere. other than the fact they were a subaru only part. morette have gone bust and i followed a set on ebay for a customer that went for £500! ouch!

other than that from what i can gather keep it serviced etc which is common sense they are pretty much bulletproof!

Don't know about Subaru but I've got 2,7 biturbo audi allroad and is perfect for that kind of trips

only thing ive heard about the allroads is that the airbags they have can get bits of sand grit inbetween the folds in them and they eventually put holes into the bag. making the airpump work constantly and burning that out. the airsbags aint cheap to replace either, think there is a company in the states that do em cheaper than over here

Currently looking at subarus as well and from what i have found the bugeye does not handle as good as the blobeye or the classic.

Prodrive pack will take them to around 250 on a wrx and on a sti it will go to 300 ish

18" wheels make them handle better without compromising the ride too much.

only thing ive heard about the allroads is that the airbags they have can get bits of sand grit inbetween the folds in them and they eventually put holes into the bag. making the airpump work constantly and burning that out. the airsbags aint cheap to replace either, think there is a company in the states that do em cheaper than over here

Yep, that's true, You can buy all new suspension for about 1300 pounds so it's not as that bad. It's same as G60 in corrado, some of them mange over 100k miles some didn't. Allroad suspension should be replaced/serviced after 120k miles.

I'm still waiting on coilovers for Allroad.

karl.....a skoda!! i mean im all up for the 20v and haldex combo but look at it its horrid! the scooby all be it a bit chavy has, awd over 200bhp 4pots etc and marlie will love it in the back mid 4 wheel drift lol!

:roll: @ '...a Skoda!!' I agree, out of the two, I'd prob go for the WRX, but not the bug-eye, cos look at it, it's horrid! :lol:

Seriously though, still can't believe that people STILL have anti-Skud badge snobbery. They're not the prettiest (although there are some very nice looking MK1 Fab and Octy vRSs out there), but they are fantastic cars. Just look at all the drivers surveys of the last decade- totally dominated by Honda, Lexus and Skoda.

if it was me i would go for a tidy "wagon" example of the classic chape and keep the extra dosh.

HATE the bugeye's...

there's not much that goes wring with them, but a uk car is always better over imports as the imported boxxer engines can be very sensitive to det with our lower RON uk fuel unless you get them remapped accordingly...

i'm still not a fan of imprezas having owned one and driven lots - lots of understeer and woolley steering with not enough feedback. that said, off hand i can't think of a nicer "all-round" fast estate that will offer you the same for the cash...

if you're willing to sacrifice some performace and fun (i.e no tail happy goodness...) then i would consider a fast audi estate...

its tail happy times im after :D

been looking at audis and the only one in my price range is an s4 avant but it looks abit to much like an estate car my dad would drive if you know what i mean!dont think im ready for that status yet!

I had my corrado vr6 for 6 years :D and then went to a 99my 280bhp prodrive everything impreza uk turbo, while the steering feel on the corrado was very good a well setup impreza with an anti lift kit and drop links feels on another level. I had prodrive bilsteins shocks with eibach springs on mine which were very firm but handled the road better than any of the two 'konied' corrado's i owned.

I now have an audi S4 avant which is as quick as the impreza but has leather, cruise, bose sound etc and i havnt even remapped it yet which for £500 will get me 320bhp and almost 400lbft. These cars have the same 2.7 bi turbo lump as found in the rs4 difference being rs4 has cosworth heads and different turbos.

A proper Q car i reckon and look alot better in the flesh than in photos, and whoever said audis arn't tell happy is wrong, the s4 uses the proper torsen quattro system which is way better than the haldex as found on other models, mine happily steps its rear wheels when asked and after all this snow we've had has proved to be controlled but nicely rear end biased.

As for anyone thinking of getting one there great, get baby, dog shopping all in and have some fun, mines going to the nurburgring in july hopefully :D