Sign in to follow this  
dene4638

VR6 golf parts compared to corrado..

right so jus a quick knowledge thing really, all the breakers yards by me rarely get corrado's in so i cant build up my spares..

but they do currently have 2 mk3 golf vr6 in thier yard..

apart from the obvious difference of 2.8 and 2.9 engine size is there any difference between the golf vr6 engine bay to the corrado, (wiring, ancillaries, subframe, etc)

cheers guys 8)

..any difference between the golf vr6 engine bay to the corrado, (wiring, ancillaries, subframe, etc)..?

Lots. Lots, better if you got one from a passat vr6, but if you want to do it, it can be sorted in a weekend. Best to start this way:

- pull the lot from the engine bay from the fusebox onwards, inc the abs system, headlamp system rad and fan system, ecu, etc;

- also pull the interior wires to the diagnostic plug from the fusebox;

- if its an obd2 system grab the maf, intake manifold and throttle body;

- pull everything for the engine inc the exhaust manifold and cat;

- gearchange mechanism;

- dont know about the driveshafts and whether they match - check that one;

- front cross member.

I think you have to get the K section crossmember for a vr6 rado or passat vr6. Someone else will have to validate that.

Then at your convenience, using a bentley manual as a guide (they can be bought easily off the internet, amazon has a couple going cheap):

- seperate the headlamp wires, windscreen washer wires, abs system wires, radiator and fan wires, from the fusebox to ecu, and ecu to engine plug, engine harness and harness which covers the lambda probe, etc- make up seperate harnesses but dont wrap yet;

- keep your existing rado headlamp washer system,

- if your rado has abs, replace the brain and pump and wiring with the one from the golf (cut and shut wires to fit) - then wrap and install;

- run the diagnostic plug harness, wrap and fit;

- measure up all the runs needed on your car (i) from the fusebox to the ecu, ecu to engine plug, and from ecu to lamba probe - make sure you have enough length by cutting and shutting, check, check again for continuity, wrap and fit;

- match up the k section, match up the front x member;

- source a proper k section for the rear mounts, a corrado vr6 cat, the front mount will drop straight in.

- mate up engine gearbox, driveshafts ready;

- get a vr6 radiator and fans for a rado, mate and fit;

- start and check the engine runs- dont move though;

- mate up the clutch and brake hydraulics, bleed;

- start again and check for codes, clear all codes on abs first, then clear the engine codes, investigate each one.

i have been told the subframes driveshaft etc are the same.. just the obvious front crossmember/rad support panel/slam panel.. :confused4:

and is all the chopping of the loom because of size differences or is there differences due to differences in the engine?

im thinkin non ABS,.. OBD1

im thinkin non ABS,.. OBD1

welcome to the club if your go this route. i would advise if you want to do this properly, go obd2 if you get the chance.

if you choose to go obd1, ask one of the breaker gents on this site whether they have an uncut engine bay loom + speedo loom. the electrics are honestly a piece of pi$$ providing you get a good loom, if memory serves me correctly its all plug and play. took me an hour to wire mine in after i'd got my head around everything.

note, you will not need to change your 16v gear linkages. they are the same as vr6 ones.

are you staying 4 stud wheel pattern? or going 5 stud?

if you need a vr6 cat, i have a good condition genuine one here on the cheap. passed its last mot with flying colours.

if you need any advice give us a shout.

chris