Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Errrm...How many bolts?

How many bolts are there on the inlet manifold on a G60?

I can only see one at the timing belt end so I wondered if there are;

A)two bolts-one at either end-which would be great,or

B)four bolts-in which case I'm going to need a degree in yogic positions and spatial dynamics to get to the damn things :roll:

As usual,VW and ther build quality is usually second to none,but try taking something apart......

Yoga time I'm afraid... :roll: :lol:

IIRC There's 6 on the inlet, and 8 on the exhaust. There's also a support bar that's got a bolt on it that goes between the inlet and exhaust manifolds in the middle at the very back which has a 13mm hex headed bolt on both manifolds... Took me a while to find that the first time I took mine off! :roll: :oops:

I'll have a check when I get home seeing as how my inlet manifold is in my utility room at the moment... (don't ask, long story! :lol: )

The inlet bolts are a knightmare!! I've tried taking them off and failed misserably, to hard to get too. A haynes manual for a 8v gti engine recomends taking the engine out to get at them!!! :lol: I think taking the head off is the best way to replace a inlet or exhaust manifold.

I was trying to replace my exhaust manifold. Durring the job one of the bolts snaped and needed drilling out!! I ended up getting a ported and polished head fitted fitted by Darren (g-man) instead!!!

Blown, its just a case of having the right tools.

I use long and short reach 6mm allen sockets and a 3/8 drive ratchet. It's dead easy, you need to swap between the 2 as you work your way along the manifold. You can definately do it with the engine in!

The ones with ball ends make it easier too. I have a good selection of allen sockets now for jobs like this and taking the charger out.

Gavin

Thanks guys.

On further investigation,it looks like the "easiest" way is to undo the six bolts joining the exhaust manifold to the system and lifting the head complete with inlet/exhaust manifolds attached.

Also I've found a pipe, which on first inspection looked like a brake pipe,attached to the exhaust manifold,but when traced back up the engine ends in ,well, nothing?!

It appears to have been blanked of at manufacture and has a green cap on the end but it seems to serve no purpose,as its not connected to anything.Can anyone shed any light?Can it be removed?

Pics will be supplied soon!

Thanks guys.

On further investigation,it looks like the "easiest" way is to undo the six bolts joining the exhaust manifold to the system and lifting the head complete with inlet/exhaust manifolds attached.

That's how I did it when my head gasket went... It requires some wiggle-woggle joints (yeah, I know they're called universal joints, but that's what I was taught as a temp mechanic and it still makes me giggle!) and extensions on your ratchet to get at the bolts, (+ a bit of contortionism!) but it's a shed load easier than trying to strip the manifolds off in situe! :?

i read somewhere its what vw connect to for engine diagnostics

Yup, it's a diagnostics port... Leave it alone and you won't have any problems from it... 8)