Sign in to follow this  
steupton

ELECTRICS

I know i know that all corrados come with their fare share of electrical problems but hows this one for a beauty.

Got in my car today and turned the key.

EXCELLENT BRUM BRUM

Then............... by taking off the handbrake the whole car died like id taken the key out. so i put the handbrake back on and when the light on the dash for tha handbrake comes on the car works perrrrrrfectly. when the handbrake light goes off the car dies and all the lights come on like a bluddy christmas tree. just wonderin if anyone has had this problem. im thinking that a wire somewhere could be shorting out. but im not takin the car to an autoelectrition for him to clean a bloody earth wire and charge me a tonn. anyone with any info would be a little minta. cheers

the quick fix (you know, temporary fix.... like those that remain in the car forever :lol: ) IMO would be:

take apart the handbrake switch! it is located under the centre tunnel I think. if it makes your car run OK, then it's just a question of time to get it propperly fixed.

The second one if the first doesn't work, would be disconnecting the speedo clocks wiring harness (I fixed a turning indicator issue in my car by doing this). If this works, then, look at the wiring diagrams and "cut" (or, better disconnect the wire from the plug) that sends the signal to the clock's handbrake light.

The third would be removing the fuse for this light (if there is one, which I think not, but who knows...)

if all of these drive you to an unsuccessful temporary fix, then... it's time to study corrado electrical diagrams :lol:

good luck with it!

just checked and when i set off the car dies but! both indicators come on the main beam comes on the fog light swith comes on and when i lift the handbrake and the light on the dash comes on they all go off and the car runs normally. is there a relay that controls all of these little things? me thinks it may be a blown relay!?

been out again and the car will drive 10f or so with the handbrake off then its like a trip happens and the indicators come on and the car dies i pull the handbrake up and the car comes back to life and drives normal again. could this be a burnt out relay?

I hope you get it fixed as soon as possible so you can drive your car. however, and please don't think I am a "botcher"... if you need to use your C as a daily you could try and unplug your handbrake switch... just a thought!

finding an electric problem iis a pain. you may find it quickly.. or you might spend trillions of hours to find out it was such an obvious thing and wonder why you didn't look at that at first :cuckoo:

B L O O D Y NORA ! ive just been out in the bloody car and now the cars workin fine ( touch wood). only thing is when my lights are on as soon as im setting off the fuse is blowing for the right side lights! anyone know whats causing the surge? or does it relate to my possible relay problem.?

don't be so happy m8, te problem will come back.. sooner or later... so get it fixed!

Have you pulled out the fusebox? Just to have a look behind it to see if there is anything wrong (burnt wires, etc)? I did it on my car and I had 2 burnt-carbonised wires :nuts:

it won't take you more than 10 minutes

how do you get the fuse box out does it just come out all connected or does everything have to come out?

t b h thinkin back i can sort of remember when it went, i was listenin to my stereo quite loud then all off a sudden somethin blew and the car died. i could smell frazzled wire and from then on ive had probs with it. ive checked the wiring behind the stereo and everythings a ok. might be fuse box time.

how do you get the fuse box out does it just come out all connected or does everything have to come out?

t b h thinkin back i can sort of remember when it went, i was listenin to my stereo quite loud then all off a sudden somethin blew and the car died. i could smell frazzled wire and from then on ive had probs with it. ive checked the wiring behind the stereo and everythings a ok. might be fuse box time.

pull out the fuse box cover tray (in case you have it).

By looking at the fusebox, you may see a white clip, about 6cm long or so. In case you have it, remove it.

after that, pull the fusebox "a little" up to make it go out of its brackets, then it will slide down. BE CAREFUL, it will be held ONLY by the wires/plugs!!

a good thing to do would be replacing the fuses (if they have no make on them might mean they were bought at a chinese shop or so).

a torch will be useful!

edit: no need to disconnect any plug. What I meant is that you have a look by letting the fusebox loose so you can turn it a little. There's no need to take it apart from the car if you only want to have a look :o

Not forgetting the most important thing of all given the problem you have - disconnect the battery before you start messing around with the wiring or fusebox :)

Cheers lads ill have a look. to be honest the cars goin in on friday and im trying to have a look at things to make it cost affective :) but that meaans im in my brothers starlet gsi for the weekend BOOOOO!

Update.

just got back from work. and the car drove perfect to and from with no handbrake on, im not chancing it like but guys this aint happened in nearly a year.

the right hand side light fuse keeps blowing on set off though. earth??/